New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Torch Coral Question

Started by smalltownfan, November 17, 2010, 01:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smalltownfan

I the last two days it seem like 2 heads have died and the third is on it's way. Ideas?
FW Nano's 5g & 15g
Inverts & Micro fish

Benja

If you see brown jelly coming from the receding heads they are goners for sure.

Judging from the photo... the adjacent torch heads look fine.

I'm guessing: some sort of physical trauma.
I have had a pair of clowns kill 5 heads on a piece of frogspawn.

If you are really concerned, it migt be worth splitting the piece and chucking the dead heads right away.

10gnano

I would say that it is chemical war fare from the frogspawn

White Lightning

I have had this happen a few times. One time I added a new torch to my tank and it died within a week also killing my massive spaghetti leather. I would break off the dead heads and consider running some carbon.

Bob P

If the photo is where coral has been placed all along,
looks awfully close to the rock. Any damage to the mucus
coating can kill the heads quickly.
You also mentioned in another thread your ph was 7.8 correct?

JetJumper

Don't always toss corals out thinking they are goners.. I have had a few that I tossed into a frag tank and new heads appear out of the old skeleton after it seems the thing has completely died off.  Then they make great for frags :)

If you don't have the area to put them then yes you can toss it.  But just tossing that idea out there.
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

smalltownfan

Quote from: Bob P on November 17, 2010, 02:35:50 PM
If the photo is where coral has been placed all along,
looks awfully close to the rock. Any damage to the mucus
coating can kill the heads quickly.
You also mentioned in another thread your ph was 7.8 correct?
I've moved it away from the rock and "planted" it on the bottom in a bit more flow.
Yes my ph is 7.8. Time to add water hardener?
FW Nano's 5g & 15g
Inverts & Micro fish

Benja

Bob P

I've never had to adjust anything parameter wise
in my tank. I know ph should be 8.2 ish.
Maybe someone else here can lead you on that.

NjOyRiD

are you adding kalk in your top offs? that helps!
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

ordi260

+ 1 on water change.  i would do a couple of 20 % on a span of a couple of days and try to bring the ph up relying on the new salt mix...

[li]
33 gallons - FW Community tank [/li]
[li]20 gallons - Nano Reef tank (Two Onyx Clowns, 1 peacock flasher wrasse, 1 pearly jawfish, 1 black sailfin blenny, many LPS and few SPS[/li][/list]
    [li]
30 gallons terrarium - Crested gecko[/li]
[/list]

Rybren

Randy Holmes-Farley, the reef chemistry guru, has some interesting articles on pH.  In one, he states:

"Another interesting and important fact is that the pH resulting from equal volumes of two solutions being mixed together is not just an average of the two solutions' pH values (which the measurement scale's logarithmic nature alone implies), but is also determined by each of the solutions' buffering power and, to a lesser extent, by more esoteric factors. Sometimes the pH that results when two solutions are combined is not even between the two starting values. Consequently, evaluating pH problems and potential solutions requires some knowledge of more than just the pH of the solutions involved. This fact is important for reef aquarists when considering, for example, whether the pH of pure freshwater impacts the pH of seawater when added to it. In this case, the pure water's effect is almost negligible, regardless of its measured pH value."

Here is the whole article... http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-05/rhf/index.php

and here's another article on low pH issues... http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.php

HTH
120G Reef

ordi260

[li]
33 gallons - FW Community tank [/li]
[li]20 gallons - Nano Reef tank (Two Onyx Clowns, 1 peacock flasher wrasse, 1 pearly jawfish, 1 black sailfin blenny, many LPS and few SPS[/li][/list]
    [li]
30 gallons terrarium - Crested gecko[/li]
[/list]

smalltownfan

Quote from: Rybren on November 18, 2010, 11:37:04 AM
Randy Holmes-Farley, the reef chemistry guru, has some interesting articles on pH. 
Here is the whole article... http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-05/rhf/index.php

and here's another article on low pH issues... http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.php

HTH

WOW :o :o :o
All that happens in my tank????
Thanks for the link!
FW Nano's 5g & 15g
Inverts & Micro fish

smalltownfan

Hooked up the nano skimmer...day 1 results.

Dropped the torches to the bottom in the flow. Did a 50% water change, PH is @ 8.0

Two heads on the torch picked right up and are doing better. Gave them a snack of LPS
FW Nano's 5g & 15g
Inverts & Micro fish

salvini55

very nice  ;D always good to have em come back to life. Might just have been touched or walked on by a hermic causing a tear in the polyp. I dont think that a PH of 7.8 would kill a coral unless it was swingin' all day and night like crazy

Rybren

dont think that a PH of 7.8 would kill a coral unless it was swingin' all day and night like crazy

Agreed.  Mine was at 7.8 for a few months with no ill effects.  It's now at 8.2 and to be honest, I see no difference in the corals.
120G Reef

NjOyRiD

Quote from: salvini55 on November 18, 2010, 03:44:14 PM
very nice  ;D always good to have em come back to life. Might just have been touched or walked on by a hermic causing a tear in the polyp. I dont think that a PH of 7.8 would kill a coral unless it was swingin' all day and night like crazy

agreed, mine is at 7.8 all the time! because of my CA reactor....
But you should add kalk to your top offs...

heres a video about it for you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POsLy2Mp0m8

while you at it...look at my buddy'S video when he says hi to me hahaha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQfjmannefw

370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO