New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Can anyone ID?

Started by Exile89, February 12, 2011, 05:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Exile89

Darth

aptasia is a pain in the bum to get rid of!

Exile89

Going to grab a peppermint or 2 in the next couple days, see if that works.  :'(

Darth

peppermint shrimp are hit and miss, I heard if you dont feed for a few days you will get better results

Hookup

Peppermints are not hit or miss, well kinda. :)

Peppermints from the carribean are hit... Others are a miss...  I believe it is because they are intact two different species... But that's theory, not fact... 

Get someone to order some from the carribean for ya.. And it's common to keep them in trios...  Not sure why...

JetJumper

The 2 peppermints I have did a great job on cleaning up all my aptasia :)
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

bandit

I found if you remove the rock and isolate it with the pep shrimps they do a great job, but in a large tank there is so much other food sometimes they wont touch it. I have a seagrass filefish that is amazing. In 3 weeks he fixed my problem.

Also vinegar and lemon juice works in a syringe if injected into the base of the anemone, but they seem to come back if your not on top of them. I would use vinegar and when it wilts suck it into the syringe. 

robt18

The wurdmanni species of peppermint shrimp are the ones that eat aptasia, and they work better in groups. Most LFSs carry wurdmannis, as they know people will be using them for astasia eating.

Fishhead89

Peppermints - if you feed the tank - the peppermints can feed up on whatever you're feeding the tank, and may not touch the aipstasias. If you can isolate them. Great! They may just do the job though. I've had a peppermint or two in my display, and they have eradicated aipstaisas.. and are keeping them gone even with regular feedings.

Exile89

Thanks for all the advice. Another question  ??? Can the peppermint shrimp live with a reef lobster or will there be problems?  :'(

salvini55

thats probably not a great idea

Darth

I have a reef lobster that I never see (so I may not have a reef lobster anymore ) but my peppermint shrimp is still alive

redbelly

If the reef lobster can catch the shrimp (or fish for that matter) it will eat it.
They are "reef" safe as in the wont eat your corals, but they will kill any fish or shrimp that they can catch.