New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

new tank?!

Started by blacksilverado, February 13, 2011, 06:52:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blacksilverado

ok, i need a opinion on a tank i am looking at, whether its a good deal or not.

Its brand new factory overstock.

Marineland brand tank 220 gallon. comes with a real wood "pine" stand. glass tops, lightstrip. for the price of $975 plus tax

or i can get the same tank as a reef ready, drilled, duel overflows, plus plumbing, same setup as the freshwater tank for $1104 plus tax.

i would love to go saltwater, but i dont have the cash to set it all up, so i am thinking of getting the freshwater tank.

Is it a good deal?

FocusFin

Don't know if it's a good deal or not but the drilled tank is well worth the difference of $100+tax. If there's any possibility you may go salt in the future, opt for the drilled, you'll thank yourself a thousand times over if you ever make the switch.
110g saltwater/reef

I was walking down the street and a man was hammering on a roof top and he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

blacksilverado

what would be a good sized sump for that tank?

Bob P

Check with some of the site sponsors.

FocusFin

For saltwater, I guess it depends what you want to use the sump for. If it's to increase water volume then the largest one you can accomodate is best but if it's to house a refugium, remote sandbed, equipment etc.. a 50 gallon is a good start. I have a 110gallon display and 50 gallon sump.

For freshwater it's not as common to have a sump but a 40 gallon+ could provide an awesome filter and space for heater, equipment and is great for dosing, water changes etc...

You know, if money is an obstacle to going salt, you could find the same size tank drilled for about $300-350 used and put the rest of the money into 150lbs live rock, a couple of power heads, a bucket of salt and some sand. You don't even need a sump to start or great lighting just the bare essentials. Over the next year find a good used skimmer, proper lighting and you're on your way to a saltwater/reef setup.
110g saltwater/reef

I was walking down the street and a man was hammering on a roof top and he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

blacksilverado

well if i go freshwater "which i probably will do" i will need a sump for the marine setup as its drilled and duel overflows.

Or just get the freshwater tank and use my rena xp4

eitherway whichever way i go on it, i am selling my 120 to offset the cost.

i am just trying to decide, do i want all the associated cost with a marine tank and lose my african setup. or have a gigantic african tank with really no addidtional cost besides the tank. as the filtration i have currently will be more the adequate, just need more decorations and cichlids!

FocusFin

You can simply cap the overflows and not use them until you are ready. Freshwater but marine ready.
110g saltwater/reef

blacksilverado

doh!!, egg on face, had a tard moment.