New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

300 gallon in wall build

Started by rush, March 05, 2011, 01:18:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rush

So I have decided that in my new place I want to build an in wall reef system. I have a perfect wall to use that divides my dining room and 3rd bedroom (now my aquarium room). This is not a load bearing wall so it will be easy to make into an in wall aquarium, just a few electrical wires to be moved.

I am leaning towards this tank so far:

http://www.reefsolution.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=103_292&products_id=2319

I also plan on having a rubbermaid 150 gallon cattle tank as a sump:

http://www.rubbermaidforless.com/rubbermaid-4245-gallon-capacity-stock-watering-tank-product_info-150.html

I will also have an acrylic frag tank set up to this system, roughly a 50-60 gallons (down the road)

I will also set up a seahorse tank 37 gallon (down the road)

This whole productions is going to happen over the next couple months and will keep this thread updated.

I am purchasing the tank in the next month or so and will have it delivered to the new place. It comes with dual corner overflows, pre drilled, and all bulkheads included.

I plan on buying this skimmer:

http://www.goreef.com/Super-Reef-Octopus-XP-8000-Cone-Internal-Skimmer-1000-Gallons.html

I plan on buying this return pump :

http://www.goreef.com/Mag-Drive-12-Utility-Pump-1200-GPH.html

I plan on buying 4 Vortech mp40w es' rather then 2 mp60 just so I can control dead spots a little better but this is not set in stone.

I also will be lighting this with Aqua Illuminations. I will start with 4 sol blues and add more if needed.

Obviously nothing is set in stone yet, and I am sure I will be doing many changes but this is a starting point to where I am going with this.

This is a link to my dream tank and what I hope to accomplish:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-12/totm/index.php

200g system

150g reef tank with 50g sump~ 220lbs of liverock, Aqua Illumination LED's, Reef Keeper Elite w/ Net Digital Aquatics, Vertex Skimmer, TLF carbon reactor, TLF bio pellet reactor, NextReef GFO reactor, Calcium reactor,  tunze and koralia pumps, RO/DI with auto shut off and auto top off.

Lots of corals and fish. Will post pics soon.

salvini55

souds like its going to be am awsome build! XP-8000!!!!!!  :o that thing will need its own room!

smalltownfan

Looking forward to following your progress.
FW Nano's 5g & 15g
Inverts & Micro fish

rush

Quote from: salvini55 on March 05, 2011, 01:28:46 PM
souds like its going to be am awsome build! XP-8000!!!!!!  :o that thing will need its own room!

It is big, but better too much than not enough. And I figure if I am going to have a 300 gallon tank, plus 90 gallons of a 150 gallon cattle tank plus a frag tank with 60 gallons and another 37 gallon seahorse tank, plus maybe a refugium tank then I will need the extra skimmer.

I may also go with :

http://www.goreef.com/Super-Reef-Octopus-XP-5000-Cone-External-Skimmer-450-Gallons.html
200g system

150g reef tank with 50g sump~ 220lbs of liverock, Aqua Illumination LED's, Reef Keeper Elite w/ Net Digital Aquatics, Vertex Skimmer, TLF carbon reactor, TLF bio pellet reactor, NextReef GFO reactor, Calcium reactor,  tunze and koralia pumps, RO/DI with auto shut off and auto top off.

rush

So the tank is officially ordered. Next step is a deposit on the AI sol blue's. I have sold my 120g reef set up, everything but the tank stand and canopy within one day of having it up so that enabled things to move along a bit quicker than expected. Of course I do not move in until April 1st so the tank will naturally be delivered there. I have a guy coming in to do the steel stand for the tank and the demo of the wall.

I have kept all my liverock 180 lbs or so and will be purchasing another 100lbs this week and may get another 100lbs for free. So I will have 380lbs of liverock ready to go for the next build.

Once I purchase the lights, the next will be the equipment to go with it.

I will keep this thread updated.

Thank you everyone so far for the advice and support.
200g system

laffy

have fun moving that 900 lbs empty tank!

veron

have you taking ventilation into consideration? thats alot of moisture.
plus your hydro costs will be ''substantial''. having ran a 500g  2 years ago I can attest to
cost lol. waterblaster return pumps are getting great reviews.

Papdul16

Hydro Bill ?
Rush lives in Aylmer
Our Hydro bill is about 1/4 of what Ottawa has  :D
7 tanks running of African cichlids

laffy

4 modules of the AI will not be enough Rush. your looking at minimum 6 upwards of 9 depending out you setup your rock. it should be 2-3 modules per compartment because of the 36" depth. as per what i've previously told you in chat, i'm going to start with 4 and see how that looks on my 200. its the same tank as you only 4' instead of your 6'.

rush

Quote from: veron on March 07, 2011, 09:03:18 AM
have you taking ventilation into consideration? thats alot of moisture.
plus your hydro costs will be ''substantial''. having ran a 500g  2 years ago I can attest to
cost lol. waterblaster return pumps are getting great reviews.

I have been looking into this. there are a few options which I will know more about soon.

As for Hydro, I live in hull, cost is a fraction of what it is in Ottawa :P

200g system

veron

yeh much cheaper for juice there and water lol. good luck on your project. Its fun . take the ventilation real serious though, you'll have mold issues etc..

rush

Yes the ventilation is going to be priority concern. Maybe some dehumidifiers :P

I have selected the Vertex Alpha cone 300, deposit is made.

Tank has also been ordered.
200g system

ToX

Any updates??? I to am looking of getting the same tank in october when I get the keys to my new house. Is it well built?

NjOyRiD

370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO