New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Any good ID sites for crabs

Started by Roxanne, March 09, 2011, 07:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roxanne

As I am sitting examining my tank a few minutes ago, I have noticed that there's a new crab in my tank....  I have never seen this little guy and unfortunately my camera is still in repair.  His front legs and head are black and hind legs are velvety white (I think...).  Any sites that I can look into to try and identify whether he's good or bad?

Roxanne

Surfing the net and it looks like a black mithrax...  Are they good or bad, seem to have mixed reviews on the internet.

Darth

as far as i know if they look hairy and or their pinchers are pointed they will attack everything and when in doubt take it out

Roxanne

how the heck to you get them out :-\  As soon as I approach it goes directly in a crevice...

HomerJ

To catch one of mine, I used a small shotglass, and put a small piece of shrimp in it.  Lay it at an angle against a rock close to where the crab lives.  If you are lucky, the crab will get in there, but will not be able to climb out.

If you have a lot of hermits, they will also try to get in there, so it might not work the first time.

Good luck!

Darth

yeah I agree with homer you have to bait them with a glass, shrimp silversides work well