New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

fast-growing encrusting corals?

Started by Nyx, March 18, 2011, 08:45:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nyx

"Go slow and let it grow" with saltwater tanks but patience has never been one of my virtues and after over 9 years of having our tank, I have less patience than ever. We have a few "bald spots" in our tank that we want to fill in with encrusting corals that are fast growing. Out tank is 150G, 30 inches deep. Our lighting is 2 x 250W 20k XM metal halides and 2 x 48" actinic Reef Brite LEDs. So, what are some fast-growing encrusting corals for the top third, the middle third and the bottom third of our tank?
9G planted Edge w/ pure strain Endler's livebearers

Hookup

Monitpora are some of the fastest.

And rugosa - spelled that all wrong I'm sure.

Fast being all relative of course :)

Poker star monti and superman and fire engine red. All of these are killer colors and are pretty fast.   Sunset and sunrise are next to impossible to find but are also nice monti's

barabe

NjOyRiD

370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

Nyx

Quote from: barabe on March 18, 2011, 01:19:47 PM
Star Polyps!!! ROLF

Not again in this life time! :D

Thanks, Hookup. I guess more montis it is, then. :)
9G planted Edge w/ pure strain Endler's livebearers

gvv

This may work if you are not in particular to SPS:

http://www.melevsreef.com/id/clavularia_sp.html

Looks very nice and growing fast. But angels may eat it...

bongo

+1 for monti

and stay away from gsp!  ;)

tophoo

Why is the GSP bad?  don't mean to hijack the thread

JetJumper

Quote from: tophoo on March 18, 2011, 08:50:17 PM
Why is the GSP bad?  don't mean to hijack the thread

Because of what you just said :P  It Hijacks your tank!
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

NjOyRiD

even frogspwn cant beat that stuff LOL
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

HappyGuppy

I apologize if this is a hijack.  Just have some newbie questions inspired by this thread.  If OP objects I'll delete this post.

May I add the question... which might be good for lower light tanks?  (Second tank has just regular fluorescent 2 watt/gallon.)

Also second question, if ok.  Aren't encrusting corals that "coraline algae", or is it a class of "carpet-like" stuff?
***EDIT:  Googled it.  Plenty of pretty pics.  Second question retracted.

Funny, I didn't realize that GSP was a nuisance, as I gather to be implied by this thread.  It is high on my list of corals I want to get as it is an easy beginner coral.  Huh.  Well if any of you have some to cull please let me know (happy to trade something nice for it).

target

I've had GSP and Pom Pom Xenia both are fast growing and cover well. the GSP are aggressive to other corals they touch.

I saw the growth rate really slow down after I noticed the water chems becoming "mature"  (including the Xenia) and I could always keep them restricted by boardering them with some agressive corals as well: euphilias, shrooms, rics etc

thanks

NjOyRiD

Quote from: target on March 21, 2011, 02:33:19 PM
I've had GSP and Pom Pom Xenia both are fast growing and cover well. the GSP are aggressive to other corals they touch.

I saw the growth rate really slow down after I noticed the water chems becoming "mature"  (including the Xenia) and I could always keep them restricted by boardering them with some agressive corals as well: euphilias, shrooms, rics etc

thanks

wow, thats a goos trick, i just put a monti cap and a frosspawn between, see what will happen!
370g System

NanoSF

+1 for Montipora, caps more than digi. Did someone say pokerstar grew fast. My poker star has not budged a millimeter in months. I have zero nitrates which I heard they are sensitive to. Maybe once it takes off it will really start to grow.

As for GSP there is other ways to limit spread. I have had them for 5 years and they are contained. Basically they're surounded by shaded gaps between them and other rocks/corals. Not a big gap just enough they can't grow down into the crevices and start growning all over the adjacent rock. You can also put them on an island rock on the sand bed. They can also go on glass so you can easily scrape them off if need be. I find Xenia worse because it walks and jumps gaps. The stuff is a super coral.

Bob P

Monti is a great sps for growth.
So is Merulina if you can keep it.

Darth

Quote from: NanoSF on March 21, 2011, 04:28:07 PM
I find Xenia worse because it walks and jumps gaps. The stuff is a super coral.
I had some that was stuck to a rock when I was rearranging the tank didn't realize it was attachted to the adjacent rock and it tore leaving a tiny spec of flesh behind, about a week later there were polyps growing out it so this is def super coral!! LOL

gvv

Quote from: Bob P on March 22, 2011, 09:25:06 PM
So is Merulina if you can keep it.

Now I know the name of the coral :)
I must say that it is not fast growing... Maybe because it is not in the best spot (from the light point of view)

But encrusting very nicely!

Bob P

First one Monti, second one Merulina