New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

135G tank build (2 side viewable starfire) with custom sump

Started by ordi260, June 10, 2011, 10:58:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ordi260

That's right, new tank will be here soon!

36 X 36 X 24

[li]
33 gallons - FW Community tank [/li]
[li]20 gallons - Nano Reef tank (Two Onyx Clowns, 1 peacock flasher wrasse, 1 pearly jawfish, 1 black sailfin blenny, many LPS and few SPS[/li][/list]
    [li]
30 gallons terrarium - Crested gecko[/li]
[/list]

xiaan

ordi260

First thing on the to do list is to design the sump.

I chose to build a custom glass sump.

It has to have:

-Top up water compartment (big one) to be used with Tunze auto top off
-3 balling mix compartments (for Fauna Marin balling system) to be used with automatic dosing pumps
-Room for at least 3 Two little fishies media reactors. One with GAC, one with phosban and the other with biopellets
-Tonnes of room for live rock / skimmer (s) (I may try to put 2 different types skimmers), i'm not decided on this yet

Dimensions inside the stand are: 36x36x26.

[li]
[li]20 gallons - Nano Reef tank (Two Onyx Clowns, 1 peacock flasher wrasse, 1 pearly jawfish, 1 black sailfin blenny, many LPS and few SPS[/li][/list]
    [li]
[/list]

ordi260

So I got the ATI 6 bulb sunpower and skimmer!

Lighting-wise I will start with this fixture + ReefBrite Actinic supplementation and Mini mag Moonlights.
I may (I know I will, but I just don't really want to admit it yet  ::) ) get one of the new dimmable 8 bulbs ATI sunpower to complete the setup.

Sump's blueprints should be posted soon! I am trying to figure out how big my RO top off reservoir will be, I like the idea of a 5-10 gallons (lazyness) but my head thinks a 2.5 would be much safer... :-\ What do you think? I will be using the Tunze osmolator tho, they are pretty reliable...5 gallons maybe?

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

ordi260

Most plumbing bits are purchased!

I went wayyy overboard and ended up with 9 shopping bags full of stuff (lol). I will have lots of extra / stuff to sell after the build ;) Some 5 and 10 packs were so cheap I had to buy them even if they were not necessary.

The tank should be here on sunday night or monday!

The return pump is also ordered. I decided to go with an Eheim Compact + 5000. Return and reactors will be connected to it through a manifold to save electricity (compared to run multiple maxi jets for each reactors).

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

Malyon18

"Friends Don't Let Friends Go Plastic Reef"

ordi260

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

ordi260

Sump's design v1.0

U-shaped with no light penetrating in it! (all in the stand). That was part of my goals for this build : keep all the fish stuff in the stand's footprint. *We will see if it really happens  ;D*

I hope to see nice sponges and stuff growing in there :)

(Open or save the pic to see all the notes on the attached pic).

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

Malyon18

No I was actually interested in getting the +3000 for myself but had a hard time finding any good reviews online, so I will now be waiting to see how you like it :)

NjOyRiD

make sure the return of the bio pellets goes near the skimmer's intake
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

ordi260

Quote from: Malyon18 on July 04, 2011, 03:20:01 PM
No I was actually interested in getting the +3000 for myself but had a hard time finding any good reviews online, so I will now be waiting to see how you like it :)

So did I...Ended up ordering it anyway and we will see how things go. I will keep you posted.

Did you find any reviews at all?

I didn't even find the size of the output...I will play it by ear lol I hope its 1 inch and not 1 1/4 inch because I don't have any 1 1/4 inch plumbing on hand  :o

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

Malyon18

Nope not a single review, now the pressure is on for you to put a good one out there lol

ordi260

Quote from: Malyon18 on July 04, 2011, 04:12:09 PM
Nope not a single review, now the pressure is on for you to put a good one out there lol

Haha ill do my best  ;)

You can expect a lot of pics, so dial up...start your engines!!!!!!

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

NjOyRiD

370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO