New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

25 Gallon resealing question

Started by bizfromqc, December 21, 2011, 05:50:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bizfromqc

I just finished giving the tank a pretty good scrub with baking soda. The tank has no scratch and the frame is in pretty good condition except the sillicone is in pretty rough shape and I'd feel better if I resealed it.

Do you guys have any tips before I embark on this resealing/sillicone adventure?

It's got black sillicone on all sides now and clear in the bottom (looks like it might have already been resealed in the bottom). My plan is to get rid of everything and replace with clear sillicone throughout.

So my plan will be:
1) Use razor blade to remove existing sillicone (both the black and clear stuff)
2) Wipe everything with rubbing alcohol to prep the joints
3) Use painters tape on all seems to get a clear joint with sillicone
4) Put new joint of sillicone on the 8 joints
5) Remove painter's tape
6) Wait 48-72 hours

Are the panes of glass glued together some other way or is the sillicone joint the only mechanical "seal" holding the different panes together?

... maybe I should post this in the DIY section. Mod please feel free to move it to DIY if appropriate.

Thank you

elk

Me personally I would not buy an old tank that has been resealed.
Go out and buy a new 25g from Bigals,they only cost 40.00
Do you really want to wake up to 25 gallons of water on the floor.

bizfromqc

Good point.

I don't know for sure it's been resealed or not, the side joints definitely look factory. The bottom part is the one raising a little doubt in my mind.

40$ is nothing compared to a 25 gallon flood so I may end up going that route anyways  :D

... it just seems like I'm wasting a good tank though, maybe I could give it a second life with a couple of sillicone tubes.

Thank you for the advice.

touchofsky

I resealed an old 45 gallon tank in the fall.  I have it set up in the basement to hold some pond fish, and so far, it is doing great.

bizfromqc

Thanks for the info, I think I'll go ahead and do it. I think as long as I steer clear of the seal holding the panes together, I should have no problem redoing the internal sillicone and give the tank a new life.