New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

bully in the tank

Started by vonG, January 05, 2012, 04:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vonG

I have what I was told is a "purple/strawberry goby" but really I think he's a dottyback.

he's been good for the last 2 months... until this week.
now he's POUNDING on my other fish.
everyone's fins are nipped. some fairly badly.
he was fine - nothing has changed. no additions. regular feedings every 3 days.
but he's a jerk.

I'm looking for suggestions how to capture him so I can boot him back to the lfs and get something a little less aggressive.

I really don't want to tear the tank apart.

has anyone had any success with fish traps or techniques they could share...

cheers.

pic of said jerk

martin_jones

I made one once out of some fishing line, a soda bottle, a cable tie and some egg crate.

Cut the end off the bottle. Make a couple of holes in the bottle (at opposite sides of the opening you've just made), and attach the square of egg crate with a cable tie to one of these holes. Then, with the fishing line, tie it to the other side of the egg crate, and thread it through the hole in the bottle, so when you pull it tight, the egg crate closes on the bottle.

Then, put some of the fish's favourite food inside the bottle and wait. When he goes in the bottle, pull the fishing line, and the egg crate should trap him inside.

o
             o
             o
@@@@@@
@            o
@   <><       o
@                    o
@@@@@@######

o = fishing line
# = egg crate
@ = bottle

Good luck
With fronds like these, who needs anemones?

kole18

I've got mine this freaking green coris used be a good citizen in my tank since its getting bigger tend to harrass my 2 wrasse as well eating all my hermits gotta get this fish out my tank really soon.:(

vonG

I hate this little #@$%#@%@#.
I used a bottle with food in it, he sits at the end waiting for the food to drift out.
same thing with a big baggie.

he'll pick at the sides, but won't go in.

very smart.

that's ok... he'll get his.
tank comes apart tomorrow.

kole18

Do it at night, but find it where this fish hide wait for an hr to turn off your light then turn it on back fish normally stress & it will start swimming around but as you could see most of your fish is weak that's how I catch my fish rather than tearing all apart your LR's .it will causes more problem to your tank because some of living things that lives in your LR's might die you don't wanna do that the last time did it I've lost my sps & mandarin. For me this way it's easy to catch a fish, as soon as you turn back your light you will see all your fish comming out but not gonna hurt your fish though you could turn the light back off right away to illuminate the stress believe me I've done it many times. Tearing apart your LR's landscape isn't a good idea.:)

kole18

kole18

I'd finally got my yellow tang & kole as well the 2 angelfish tomorrow going to mscape for trade some corals & fish food. I'd just can't find this s@pid green coris arhhh I thought this fish is going be nice with its tank mate ended the worse 1 :(

vonG

well... a strange end to this story.
I was in my LFS yesterday complaining how this little schmuck was a constant bother to my peaceful fish....

This morning... I wake up and he's nowhere to be seen.

My other fish (bi-color blenny, cherub angel and bangai cardinal) are all doing well...... but nowhere is the dottyback to be seen.
I fed them, and he's nowhere.

Karma is a beiatch apparently.......
too bad I won't get any trade $ for him, but at least he won't nuke any more fish.

Now the cardinal gets to enjoy swimming freely about the tank instead of his little corner he was relegated to.

:)