New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

First efforts

Started by CrabbyR, April 02, 2012, 10:49:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrabbyR

Hey folks;

I've been researching reef tanks for a few months, doing the obligatory reading and asking questions at Big Al's in Kanata. They are a patient lot.

Part of my own personal difficulty is without knowing what size tank, I find the information I read and glean stays a bit.....abstract.  So this past weekend I pulled the trigger on a used system and now the work really begins.

My budders and I zipped off to the Kingston area and I picked up a 100 gallon long with sump.  It was clear on arrival, even to a rookie like me, that the system had not been running for a while - seller said for 1 month but my gut tells me otherwise. 

Bought it, the sump (40 gallon I believe), a jury rigged stand, protein skimmer, heaters, external filter, and live rock and packed it into two SUV's and brought them home. There was also an old neglected 29 gallon system I brought home, because hey, why not?

Am now engaged cleaning and finding out what just works and doesn't. So far, most of the gear is functional....the light from the 29g won't - the power switch is rusted shut.

No illusion about the workload though. But so far, vinegar, paper towel and razor blades have yielded pretty good results.

So that's my intro. Wish me luck. I'll be picking your brains for sure....

JetJumper

Good luck! :D  Its always a fun process to get a system started :)
.: JetJumper's Zone :.