New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

atlantic blue tang

Started by brotherluv, April 16, 2012, 10:04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brotherluv

Would it be advisible to add an Atlantic Blue tang (very small) into a tank with a 3" yellow tang and a 3" Picasso trigger?  Some background...the trigger is exceptionally docile.  I have a 40g breeder tank and will be selling both the blue tang and trigger when they  outgrow it.  There is ample swimming room as the majority of the LR is in the sump.  I also have a Darwin ocellaris, a sixline wrasse, and firefish in the tank...

Thanks

redbelly

Touch and go IMO.
The yellow tang may ignore/accept him.
Or he may not and he may tear him apart.
I have seen the combo of a YT and atlantic tang go either way....

I would probably err on the side of caution and go for a different fish.

brotherluv

Any other tangs that would be safe with a yellow tang?  Perhaps a kole tang...?

kole18

kole tang is worse than YT, of what I know base on my experience. I ended up salling my KT because of aggression towards to its tank mate. If you can get a convict tang I'd find these tang seems not to bother any fish in my tank. He leaves any of its tank mate alone just does its grazing for algaes on LR's cute fish too  8)

brotherluv

I'm going to have to switch  to a different type all together...

JetJumper

.: JetJumper's Zone :.

mmaisonneuve

Fish are all different and you can generalize ! Tang are usually prone to agression but hey you never sure of their behavior. In my tank I have 3 Tang....a Purple, a Yellow and a Blue Hyppo and Everyone get along.....I also have 2 Angels.....(Coral Beauty and Cream Plated) and again no fight.....I was told give them plenty of Algae to graze onto and it seems to work....perhaps it's with all those "aggressive" fish they are too busy watching each other ? The point is you can never be sure until you try it....and the bigger your tank the lower the agression risk.
90g Tank, 50g Sump. Super Reef Octopus 2000 skimmer , 1 Bio Beads reactor, 1 GFO Reactor, 1 Carbon Reactor, 2 Ecotech Radion XR30w, 3 Vortech MP10w ES,  Eheim 1260 Return Pump. AquaController Apex System. SPS Reef with Purple Tang, Yellow Tang, Dejardini Tang, Mated pair Madanrin, Clown, Purple Fire Fish, Bengali Cardinals, Coral Beauty. Tons and tons of Snail and Hermits

brotherluv

The yellow tang I have seems to be semi aggressive.  I don't want to have any casualties due to experimentation.  I think I'll be cautious in this situation although I will heed your advice maisonneuve for future reference...my tank is too small I think to take the chance. 

xenon

Quote from: kole18 on April 17, 2012, 02:07:02 AM
kole tang is worse than YT, of what I know base on my experience. I ended up salling my KT because of aggression towards to its tank mate. If you can get a convict tang I'd find these tang seems not to bother any fish in my tank. He leaves any of its tank mate alone just does its grazing for algaes on LR's cute fish too  8)

My yellow tang saved my kole tangs life by showing him how to eat from a noori clip.

They are best buddies.

Hookup

i had a yellow and a kole and a convict tang...  all in my 90g... no issues...

i sold them (the kole I believe died that was like 2 years ago)..

in my current i have my yellow-bellied hippo and a power blue...   IMO i would not do a powder blue again... too much of a jerk to new fish...

xenon

Quote from: Hookup on April 17, 2012, 11:02:01 AM
IMO i would not do a powder blue again... too much of a jerk to new fish...

Understatement of the century!

I had a powerblue for a couple years in my old 90G and every new fish I introduced got bullied to the point that I had to stick on a mirror to the front of the tank to distract him from the new fish.

I wont be getting a power blue again, that's for sure.

kole18

If you look onto webmedia for acanthurus species, powder blue etc.. Their the bad ones of tang meaning of this it's the 1 who's very aggressive as well hard to keep also needs more space:) that sucks can't keep those beautiful one always have restriction to keep these species :(

xenon

My powder blue was king of the hill until I got a 4" sohal.

The sohal did not take any crap from the PB and became #1 right away. I loved it!