New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

#@$%^! Damn Fish!

Started by JetJumper, May 06, 2012, 12:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JetJumper

So I woke up this morning thinking it was a normal day and went to double check everything.  I walk into my "fish room" and didn't notice anything out of the norm... so I finished my normal rounds and started to head to the kitchen when out of the corner of my eye I noticed 3 black clowns in one tank when I know for a fact there was only 2 there yesterday!  First thing I did, ask the wife if she got more fish.. nope.. so I check the tank beside it and low and behold there is only 1 clown in that tank now... Damn thing jumped from one tank to the other!!!! 

After about 10 minutes of trying to catch this fish I finally got her back over to the tank she belongs in... Upon inspecting the other clowns I noticed they had the "crap" kicked out of them from the one I just removed.  Thats not cool!!!

They are euro braced tanks so its not like it would have been an easy jump.  Amazed she didn't hit the floor and go carpet surfing.. Guess I need lids for them too.. Dammit!

Anyone have any funky stories like this?
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

FocusFin

Similar story.

A few years back when I had my two angelfish in a 50 gallon freshwater tank, I had to put one in a 10 gallon quarantine next to the display tank. The QT was perpendicular to the display so the the fish could see each other and the display was open top while the QT was completely closed except for a small section where the filter was hung.

One morning I came down and saw there was no fish in the display tank so I'm frantically searching the floor looking for a flat dried up fish - cannot find it anywhere. I check the Qt to see that other fish is okay and to my shock discover both fish in the QT.

Now this story is somewhat interesting until you realize that in order for the fish to make it into the QT, it had to jump out and land on the loose plastic cover to the filter (an area 4X4 inches), knock the cover off and slide through a slit between the filter and the canopy. A one in a  million shot.
110g saltwater/reef

I was walking down the street and a man was hammering on a roof top and he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

Nyx

My husband has a 29G nano in his office at work. He once had a clown in it that used to jump out of the tank, onto the floor, once every several months when Gasp would open the lid to feed her. Of course, Bozo (the clownfish) also used to attack his hand whenever he did maintenance and liked to grab onto the webbing between his finger & thumb, shaking her head like a shark with its kill. The snowflake pair he has now is much more docile. : )
9G planted Edge w/ pure strain Endler's livebearers

NjOyRiD

My only story is when a fish jump out, which is very rare but happened couple times
my dog can sniff it and go see and then he will start barking like crazy to tell me :)
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

Dakotamay

Quote from: NjOyRiD on May 06, 2012, 03:51:38 PM
My only story is when a fish jump out, which is very rare but happened couple times
my dog can sniff it and go see and then he will start barking like crazy to tell me :)

Now there's a well trained dog  :)   If anyone jumps here. Their cat food.

jimskoi

That happens to me also. Had a wrasse and a shark just from our large coral tank into our holding section for our skimmer. It's located right in between the 2 coral tanks. They were lucking because it's an external skimmer but we have it sitting in 3" of water. Just gives us more water volume. :)

Dakotamay

Quote from: jimskoi on May 07, 2012, 08:34:59 AM
That happens to me also. Had a wrasse and a shark just from our large coral tank into our holding section for our skimmer. It's located right in between the 2 coral tanks. They were lucking because it's an external skimmer but we have it sitting in 3" of water. Just gives us more water volume. :)

You've told me a good many a stories of your jumpers Jim lol.  Still can't figure out how the shark managed it.

Cheebs

I was feeding my corals a few months back, and I had a cup full of mysis shrimp and plankton.... My decorated sand goby launched out of the tank while I had my hand in there, hit the rim of a bucket and landed head first in the cup full of food on the floor. He survived, and probably got a nice mouthful too.

Greatwhite

I had a yellow tang who HATED my wife so much that whenever she'd put her hand in the tank to clean a spot of algae or stick a new piece of an algae sheet to the side, he would attack her.  Was fine with me - but she got stabbed repeatedly.  She hasn't put her hand in the tank since.