New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

bad starfish?

Started by brotherluv, June 09, 2012, 12:00:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brotherluv

Hi,  I'm just curious if there  is such a thing as bad starfish. If you know of any can you post which type, why and pics...?  Thanks :)

Dakotamay

Here is one that I know of. It is the chocolate chip starfish. Not reef safe. Gets huge up to 15 inches. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+528+2967&pcatid=2967

bandit

Yep chocalate chip is a baad baad one. also the red nob Is a Nob lol. I also wouldnt trust and serpent or brittle stars that get bigger then a toonie IMO.

Ones I know are safe are:
-fromia
-Astropecten sifter
-linckia

brotherluv

I found a star that's brown/beige...its got 5 rounded points not like the picture of the chocolate chip one that was posted...it is very small with its arms being only 5 mm from its body.  I can't get a picture...any ideas? 

Darth

how small is small could be asternia

brotherluv

A bit smaller than a dime...

Thunda

Not sure about bad but we have a serpent which is about 6in across, a brittle that would be about 15-16 inches across(leg about 7-8 inches long each) and a sand sifter that would be about 4-5 inches... so far in the last year no problems from any of them.

brotherluv

I think I've got the asternia...it was a hitch hiker...from what I've read people suspect them as zoa killers when film algae isn't present...if I see it again I'll pluck it out and toss it into my sump...the zoas in that tank look much nicer in my opinion and I don't want to take any chances...