New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

JBJ 12G reef nano-cube build (cycling)

Started by jee, August 11, 2012, 12:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jee

Hi everybody!, after TONS and HOURS of reading on reef i've started my 12g nano-cube

little while ago approx, 6 weeks,
got some reef crystals i keep my salinity at 1.027
bought a magnificent 120W 40 3W LED light 1:1 ratio 14k/actinic for 160$ lol
started with 8lbs of dry marco rock(from marinescape)/dry aragonite only,
bought a Hydor FLO to replace the stock boring return, FLO gives it a 360 random flow its great investment for 13$
i've putted a koralia nano 225 in there too
i plan to get a M.S.S (surface skimmer) but they are pretty hard to find these days
i run carbon ONLY for the moment...
(yea i know i could use this and that and this but ive decided to go the natural way.

threw in a raw shrimp in there,to kick of the cycle
after a week it looked like it was cooked by salt, and fuzzy
i removed it not long ago so not to mutch crap gets everywhere and so the ammonia could stop getting higher,
after a few weeks of testing and testing and testing and waiting...
ammonia went down then nitrates when up then now its stabilizing and now currently in the diatom bloom i think duhhh lol  
i've reduced the light cycle cuz i can see some tiny green algae spots growing here and there, its now down to 7H/day (Actinic 1h then 14k 5h then actinic 1h)

i've tought about sharing pics of the diatom bloom
i will keep posting pictures of the bloom from each day so you can see the growth of the diatoms :)

and im sure i could use a lots of help of ppl on here lots of experienced guys and gals.

Cheers!

i've put aan x before day cuz i dont really remember for how long its been blooming LOL lets take it from here.

Day x1:

Day x2:

Day x3:

Day x4(Today):

Cheebs