New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Eheim Aquastyle Iwagumi Nano Tank

Started by daworldisblack, October 04, 2012, 11:46:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daworldisblack

So this is my new project - a nano Iwagumi set up. I got the eheim aquastyle 9.2Gallon tank earlier this year for my birthday and I have been wanting to get it to be a nano Iwagumi with Crystal shrimps. Fast forward a little and I got some Netlea Crystal Shrimp Substrate at the DRAS auction and went on a trip to Montreal with some of the guys on here and picked up some Crystal Black Shrimps (i find them more awesome then the red ones for some reason heh heh).  Now I want the plants to take off in there and want to have a Planted Shrimp tank. Also have some Chilli Rasboras in there now as well and its coming together nice - 'cept plants aren't growing as much as I'd like.

Enter CO2 - I had decent growth when I had the paintball set up but since that ran out, things have gone downhill a little. My friends were going down to the states and I managed to scour some of the forums there and gathered some parts for a dual-stage regulator build. More info here: http://ovas.ca/forum/index.php?topic=54904.msg308953#msg308953

The project - some BBA and Green Algae on the Dragon Stone

The Shrimps

Now I know there are draw-backs to co2 in a shrimp tank but am fine with it. Just so long as I don't gas the lil guys! No heater in this tank so a co2 retention ain't so bad. Going to keep it at 1bp4s [worked before with the paintball set-up; no casualties].

Going to get a 5Lb aluminium co2 tank and will do a leak test then. Fingers-crossed for now! Will post params up soon!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

exv152

Nice start Rah. What kind of lights and ferts are you using?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Peekay

I like the rock composition a lot. 
Looking forward to seeing this take off.

76brian

That looks awesome! I really want a nano for my desk at work... that gives me some inspiration!

daworldisblack

Quote from: exv152 on October 05, 2012, 09:43:59 AM
Nice start Rah. What kind of lights and ferts are you using?

Thanks Eric. The tank came with a 7W LED thats not too bad - can't find PAR readings anywhere though so can't say for sure. As for ferts, mostly root tabs (looking at HC, UG, DHG) so not sure how much column ferts. I'll be doing yet. Open to suggestions, resources etc. :)

Quote from: Peekay on October 05, 2012, 09:46:44 AM
I like the rock composition a lot.  
Looking forward to seeing this take off.

Thanks Brenda! I hope all is well :) Been a while! Lets see some updates of your's! :D

Quote from: 76brian on October 05, 2012, 11:11:08 AM
That looks awesome! I really want a nano for my desk at work... that gives me some inspiration!

Thanks! Plenty of options out there! Although low-tech would be the way to go for one at work I think :)

Stussi613

That tank looks massive with the micro rasboras in it!  Looking good. I've got a paintball setup that I've been thinking about adding to my CRS Fluval Edge tank...but I want to make sure the shrimp are settled in before adding it.
I haz reef tanks.

daworldisblack

Quote from: Stussi613 on October 05, 2012, 01:07:50 PM
That tank looks massive with the micro rasboras in it!  Looking good. I've got a paintball setup that I've been thinking about adding to my CRS Fluval Edge tank...but I want to make sure the shrimp are settled in before adding it.

Yeah def take your time. I had a pBall set-up running at 1bp3-4s 24/7 previously on this set up and they were doing fine - got a batch of babies even. The microrasboras do fine too - looks like they like a lil more acidic waters too so its a good match-up. Not to mention, their small mouths can't really tackle a baby shrimp (i'm hoping anyways :p) but i keep them well-fed and have that chunk of moss for babies to hide/graze in till they are mature enough.

exv152

Quote from: daworldisblack on October 05, 2012, 12:33:27 PMThanks Eric. The tank came with a 7W LED thats not too bad - can't find PAR readings anywhere though so can't say for sure. As for ferts, mostly root tabs (looking at HC, UG, DHG) so not sure how much column ferts. I'll be doing yet. Open to suggestions, resources etc. :)

If you google the 7w LED eheim light you'll see the total lux is 3100. And, from speaking with hoppy he's recently devised a calculation for converting lux to PAR by taking various readings with a lux and a PAR meter, and has concluded if you divide the lux by 76, you get a rough but fairly accurate PAR reading. By that analogy your PAR would come to 40 micromols of PAR, making your light a medium intensity light. Should be fine for HC but not too sure about UG, it likes intense lighting. But CO2 and column ferts would not be a bad idea to avoid nuisance algae.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

daworldisblack

Quote from: exv152 on October 05, 2012, 01:43:18 PM
If you google the 7w LED eheim light you'll see the total lux is 3100. And, from speaking with hoppy he's recently devised a calculation for converting lux to PAR by taking various readings with a lux and a PAR meter, and has concluded if you divide the lux by 76, you get a rough but fairly accurate PAR reading. By that analogy your PAR would come to 40 micromols of PAR, making your light a medium intensity light. Should be fine for HC but not too sure about UG, it likes intense lighting. But CO2 and column ferts would not be a bad idea to avoid nuisance algae.

Thanks for that info! I sorta gave up on it after reading before that Lux -> Par was not possible - thanks for info on the new developments! Yes HC seems to be fine so long as there is enough co2 for it. Column ferts are something to look into given my plant choice and looking at the TDS number. Will have to be a lil careful there but theres definitely a way via trial and error (less of the latter I am hoping :))