New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Oct 4th Picture update - Now that I have my 75g

Started by guck, June 21, 2014, 09:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guck

it's only a matter of building the stand.  So excited.  I will go shoping the wood this week end.

daworldisblack

Quote from: guck on June 21, 2014, 09:24:11 PM
it's only a matter of building the stand.  So excited.  I will go shoping the wood this week end.

oooooh can't wait! What are the plans for plants and livestock?
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

guck

Quote from: daworldisblack on June 22, 2014, 09:22:03 PM
oooooh can't wait! What are the plans for plants and livestock?
That's the tough question.  I want to try the "one inch soil principle" covered with gravel.  I guess that will takes lots of plants.  I will have to buy more and scavenge my other smaller tanks.
As far as fishes go, I guess it will have to go with the plant mode.  I would like gouramis as main feature..
In my 25g I have 5 pretty tetras and 5 black neons that swim together as a school of 10.  I find that impressing.

My coffee is empty now,  Have to head to Home Depot.

charlie

Quote from: guck on June 23, 2014, 07:36:58 AM
That's the tough question.  I want to try the "one inch soil principle" covered with gravel.  I guess that will takes lots of plants.  I will have to buy more and scavenge my other smaller tanks.
As far as fishes go, I guess it will have to go with the plant mode.  I would like gouramis as main feature..
In my 25g I have 5 pretty tetras and 5 black neons that swim together as a school of 10.  I find that impressing.

My coffee is empty now,  Have to head to Home Depot.
Nice!
They are a couple on this forum who have successfully  done the soil tank - wrm130 & Angelcraze- they can be a great resource, also Jason @ one of our sponsors ( Critter Jungle) is full of experience & knowledge in this regard.
Regards

guck

Quote from: charlie on June 23, 2014, 07:53:57 AM
Nice!
They are a couple on this forum who have successfully  done the soil tank - wrm130 & Angelcraze- they can be a great resource, also Jason @ one of our sponsors ( Critter Jungle) is full of experience & knowledge in this regard.
Regards
Thanks Charlie.  That should help me narrow down my searches on the forum.

guck

After getting some 2X4 and a rideLee Valley because I ran out of pocket screws, here is the barebone structure.  50 X 22 by 19 (LHW)

fischkopp

That's looking pretty solid! Keep it coming!
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

guck

It's rather a slow process now... hiding the 2X4s by glueing some leftover of resawn white ash I wanted to recycle.  It will require sanding/hand planing.

guck

Little update on the setup which is a couple of weeks old now.

Ruber

that really looks nice, Love your stand and also your plants / landscape

I do have a question for you, what type of plants are the small ones upfront?

I need to redo my new 50G and looking for nice small plants

guck

Thanks Ruber.  I saw you built a few stands too lately :)...
Stand still missing the doors ans side panels, but I could not wait lol.

small plants are glossostigma elatinoides.

Ruber

Thanks,   Ya on my side its getting there,   I need to move my 46G to its new place on the stand and figure out what Ill be doing with the 50G :P

Thanks for the name of those plants,  Now I just have to find a place to buy them from in the Ottawa Area :)

fischkopp

This is coming along nicely!

Better get those doors on soon or you end up like me and are still missing one out three after a few years. :P
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

Ruber

On mine I was too cheap to buy door latches @ 12x 3.99$,  So I used magnets 6 X 98 cents lol   Does the job I suppose.

:P

guck

Quote from: fischkopp on July 24, 2014, 10:41:45 PM
This is coming along nicely!

Better get those doors on soon or you end up like me and are still missing one out three after a few years. :P

Thanks.  You haven't seen my doorless kitchen cabinet...  8)

guck

The scene was not as pretty this morning.  My blackangels are on death row.
Out of six, only one is doing fine.  Besides, corys, otos, shrimps and snails are fine.  No traces of ammonia, very small traces of nitrites.

guck

Quote from: Ruber on July 24, 2014, 10:34:05 PM
Thanks for the name of those plants,  Now I just have to find a place to buy them from in the Ottawa Area :)

Got mine at La Niche last week end.

Ruber

Was the tank already established?   And did those nice fish die after putting in the new plants?

guck

Quote from: Ruber on July 26, 2014, 05:56:24 PM
Was the tank already established?   And did those nice fish die after putting in the new plants?
Well, the tank was fully planted for several days to let them roots somewhat.  Substrate is play sand over topsoil.  Then I put the fish. I put the shrimps the same day I put the plants.

Mike L

It might also be ph shock. What was the ph of the water the fish came from compared to the ph of your water.