New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Tropica

Started by Big Als, December 07, 2015, 03:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Als

Hiya Folks,
   I know the plant part of the club is going strong as always, and I am just wondering if people would be interested if we started bringing in some of the Tropica line of plant care products.

We have access to quite a bit of their products, like the Plant Growth Premium fertilizers, Aquarium soil, Aquarium growth substrates, specialized fertilizer.

I am just wondering if there are people interested in it.

Thanks
Jody

exv152

Quote from: Big Als on December 07, 2015, 03:52:50 PM
I am just wondering if there are people interested in it.

Yes. The more plant products the merrier.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

daworldisblack

Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

charlie

Sounds promising, it would be nice to have the Tropica planted substrates readily available @ a competitive price to ADA

vic622

Thumbs up, here, too.
Vic
120g Peninsula Tank

Planted, high tech
Congo Tetra, Pearl Gourami, Honey Gourami
Serpae Tetra
Bronze & Pepper Corydoras, BN Plecos, Yoyo Loaches

TLe041

Their all-in-one liquid fert is great. I'm definitely interested in that.
Tony

Big Als

Hi folks,

I will see what I can do about getting some of the stuff brought in!

Jody

wolfiewill

I've heard a lot of good things about these products. We don't have access to them from Europe usually but it would be fantastic to have them here finally. ADA vs Fluval vs ..... well nothing, except Tropica; which hasn't been available here. Good on you if you can really pull this off.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

aciport

Quote from: wolfiewill on December 10, 2015, 07:58:04 PM
I've heard a lot of good things about these products. We don't have access to them from Europe usually but it would be fantastic to have them here finally. ADA vs Fluval vs ..... well nothing, except Tropica; which hasn't been available here. Good on you if you can really pull this off.

No need to access them from Europe. The product is here on these shores. It's up to retailers to stock it.

Jody

Hiya Folks,

We now have a couple different  Tropica substrates and fertilizers as regular stock at Innes.

See you soon!
Jody

TLe041

Just a heads up about their substrates - it's not the same as products like ADA Aquasoil or Fluval Stratum, it's more like mineralized top soil. You will need to cap it with sand or gravel as per instructions or it will all mix into the water column and create a huge mess. You can't use it on its own.
Tony

aciport

Quote from: TLe041 on December 24, 2015, 12:15:21 PM
Just a heads up about their substrates - it's not the same as products like ADA Aquasoil or Fluval Stratum, it's more like mineralized top soil. You will need to cap it with sand or gravel as per instructions or it will all mix into the water column and create a huge mess. You can't use it on its own.

You need to keep in mind that there are two products and they need to be distinguished. One is Substrate and the other is Soil (and Soil Powder). You are correct that the Substrate is a base layer that is topped with gravel or other material of your liking. It is not to be used on its own.

The Soil and Soil Powder is a complete substrate that is similar to ADA Aquasoil. It is made from volcanic ash from Japan just as the others are. This product will lower the water hardness as well as the pH. There is no rinsing required (actually not recommended at all) but water changes will be required more frequently in the first couple of weeks at the time of setup.

The Soil is a 2-3mm granule and the Soil Powder is a 1-2mm granule. The Powder is used, generally, for those plants with finer root structures (i.e. HC) and it will allow them root more quickly.

Jody

We have in both the substrate and the soil. I will work on getting the soil  powder in the new year.

Jody

charlie

This seems to be a common misunderstanding among hobbyist - substrate & soil.
http://tropica.com/en/plant-care/substrate/
http://tropica.com/en/plant-care/aquarium-soil/aquarium-soil/
http://ovas.ca/forum/index.php?topic=59346.0
Regards
P.S. Kudos to  Jody , for making it available locally.

TLe041

Quote from: aciport on December 24, 2015, 12:42:00 PM
You need to keep in mind that there are two products and they need to be distinguished. One is Substrate and the other is Soil (and Soil Powder). You are correct that the Substrate is a base layer that is topped with gravel or other material of your liking. It is not to be used on its own.

Yes, I'm talking about the substrate, since it's the only one that Big Al's carries.
Tony

charlie

Quote from: Jody on December 24, 2015, 02:45:06 PM
We have in both the substrate and the soil. I will work on getting the soil  powder in the new year.

Jody