New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Well I am back... the Cichlid bug has hit me again

Started by sniggir, January 25, 2018, 09:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sniggir

Hey fish gang... after 10 years of salt water, My family and I moved too a new house and were tight on $$ so we decided to give SW a break... so I set up a tank for my kids I let them pick out the fish...
( they went with Malawi Cichlids happy fun and colourful ) then they started to breed and My Wife Liz got interested 😁 so we are starting to put together a fish room to start breading again!! Liz also is allowing me to have my Daddy tank... ( I am really more of a Tanganikan fan ... sry to everyone that loves Malawi's) So sry to say I will be lurking in the forums and bugging everyone again... I wil post soon in the tank build as things progress with my tank and our breading
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

Mike L

Thank God for another cichlid lover.  2 thumbs up on tangs. What size tanks are you running, filtration, etc. What size will the big guy tank be.

Jody

The cichlid bug is something that hits hard, and is hard to get rid of! Thankfully!
I agree, tangs are the more interesting types.

Jody

sniggir

Well my main tank is a 90 gallon with a 90 gallon sump that I use as the filter it is housing the Malawi's (my wife and girls love them) and we have a 40 gal breeder with our little guys in it for growing out... I am just about to start setting up is a 65 gal corner tank. I am going to start it with Judiochromis transriptis gombi, kipli bay black calvis, and thinking about some Cypriochromis... start them in the 65 and then when they grow out get a bigger tank. I have started to put together tanks for breeding have 2 20 gal and 2 30 gal to start as I get the room put together I will take pics and move too the tank buildform :)
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently

sniggir

Ooo also putting a neolamp daffodile tank for my second eldest but that will be a species only tank :)

Themarcfish

Hi.  I am new to the forum but am happy to hear of another Tanganyika lover.  I have the julies and daffodils you wanted.  If you still need either I would be happy to give you some.  In the case of daffodils, I would happily give the whole colony, about thirty fish.

Nene

Tanganyika fan new in town here as well. Do you still keep tangs?
I'm a bit worried that soft and ph-neutral water I have in sandy hill would require a lot of work with tangs... how do you guys manage this?
Kushanganza!!!!

Enea Parimbelli

Mike L

You can boost water with a home made cichlid recipe using baking soda and Epsom salt, with a small dose of marine salt.
However the thing is that most of the tang purchased and kept are raised in regular city water. While I do add buffers and whatnot, the water changes are the critical part of keeping tangs. They are not tolerant of even slightly poor water perameters.