New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Designing a vertical aquaponic

Started by agraco, April 02, 2018, 10:16:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agraco

I am looking at building a vertical aquaponics system to maximize the space in my basement. It would entail the following design:

1.   4 inch PVCs. Aiming for 2-3 vertical posts, each with at least 5 foot length. Each post would have multiple slots to place 2 inch netpots.
2.   Building a supporting structure where the 3 vertical posts are attached (so I don't have to screw anything into my wall)
3.   The structure will be able to attach the lamps
4.   plumbing with left over pex.

Level of proficiency for construction: above a beginner. I basically figure out what I need to do but the edges may not always line up perfectly.  There are many youtube videos that describe the concept in detail.

attached image: there is a space in the corner where I want to set this up.

If someone wants to collaborate so we build two of these quickly, just PM me. The only tool I am missing: heat gun.

thanks

Dxpert

How has this project progressed? I'm interested.

agraco

If anyone is curious about this sort of thing, please note an update on the project. It took a while because there are a few dead ends...but the prototype is up and running.

Pictures in order I have attached them:
1. Broad view of the Aquarium and the garden. You can see the two water pipes: intake and drain.
2. The sump. There is a single pump for both the aquarium and the garden. This way, if the pump fails, all the water simply flows back to the sump and that is it.
3. The top view of the aquarium has the automatic overflow system as well as the water intake. This is continuously flowing. 
4. Pipes leading to / from the garden. The valve is needed because the garden and aquarium are at different heights. The pump would send all the water to the lower output if there was no valve. In this case, with no valve, all the water would go to the garden and there is nothing left for the aquarium.
5. Prototype garden with cucumber plants.
6.  Inside view of the garden - you can see the roots...and the bell siphon is used for the ebb and flow. The baskets have volcanic rock.
7. Piping under the garden. I am using two types of PEX connections. The T-joint can easily be pulled apart with a $3 tool. This lets me dismantle the system when I upgrade the garden. I use the same thing on the valve (no crimping).
8. Final view of the aquarium with three air stones. 

Other points:

• The large space between the prototype garden and the aquarium is for a much bigger garden that I want to buy. I will only upgrade when I fully utilize the asset that I have. I estimate that I can have 20 plants in my current space.
    The platys have, thankfully, been largely on autopilot. They have bred a few times and, no thanks to me, some of the babies actually survived.