New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Gravel Problem

Started by Bob_S, August 01, 2018, 04:21:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob_S

Last year I tried to setup a planted aquarium.

First I put down some Fluval Plant Stratum and then over this I put my regular gravel and then inserted some plants.

Planted project did not work and finally pulled all the plants and was left with a mixture of regular gravel and Plant Stratum.

I have tried several times to separate the stratum from the gravel but have not had any success.

My only thought now is to find a way to crush the stratum then rinse out the gravel.

Does anyone have a solution to remove the stratum, otherwise I will have to throw out my gravel.
120g  Yellow Labs, PS Socolofi,  Neolomprologus leleupi , compressiceps Chaitika
30g Albino Pleco's
30g Planted, 10g cherry shrimp

Kalemh

Why do you want to remove the stratum?

Bob_S

it is a light gravel whitish beige colour so the black stratum pieces stand out against the light background

My preference is to have only one colour.
120g  Yellow Labs, PS Socolofi,  Neolomprologus leleupi , compressiceps Chaitika
30g Albino Pleco's

Kalemh

You best bet would be to probably try to crush it like you mentioned but that would be a pain to do. I personally would start looking for new gravel or just deal with the mixed colour.

lucius

Is the gravel and stratum the same size?  Maybe you can run them through a strainer of some sort.

Bob_S

Started crushing them in the existing gravel.

Slow tedious process but does seem to work.

Lesson learnt will not do that again, thanks for the suggestions.
30g Albino Pleco's