New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Dungeons and dragons themed tank

Started by Saphirra, February 21, 2019, 09:06:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saphirra

Hi,

My husband and I are starting a DnD (dungons and dragons) themed 75 gallon tank in our basement where we play the bulk of our board games (huge geeks here).  In our tank we have an "enchanted forest" with a dragon skull hanging from driftwood.  We have a white stone road leading to the castle with a bubbling dragon skull in front of it.  We have a few rock caves and a unicorn.

On the drift wood we have attached java ferns and java moss (not sure what kind, I'm new and don't know a lot of plant names yet) that came in a cup from Big Al's.  I have an anubias growing throwing the bridge of the castle.  A few types of wendtii and another bulb plant that has about 1" wide leaves that are ruffly and 6-10" long.

If I figure out how to attach a picture I will add a photo.

My question or what I am looking for some suggestions on is what fish we can we add to the tank to stick with the DnD theme.  Right now I have 3 phantom tetras, 3 kuhli loaches (to hopefully help control my snail infestation, presumably from one of the plants) and 3 mystery snails (how can you say no to your little kidos).  My husband wants a red fin shark, a pure white and pure black angelfish. I was thinking diamond tetras, flame tetras, diamond neon tetras and hatchetfish and vampire shrimp.  At Al's today the guy I was talking to suggested Roseline sharks,  they look pretty awesome but not sure how they fit the theme we are hoping for.  The diamond tetras can represent treasures.  Flame tetras, flames from fire breathing dragons, hatchetfish the various types of battle axes and throwing axes used by the adventurers.  Angelfish and vampire shrimp, some of the monsters, even the loaches could look like serpents.

I would love to hear any input you have.  Fish suggestions I haven't thought of or if any I am thinking of aren't such a great idea.  I am fairly new to fish keeping just as an FYI.

Calico3

Your theme is so interesting. Do you know what your water readings are ?  I find that trying to pick interesting fish to match your current water conditions and experience level help in making your choices easier. Love to see a picture of your completed tank and your fish picks.