New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Goldfish tank after water change - Riccia+Algae structure

Started by sippingtowel, March 04, 2019, 02:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sippingtowel

Hi I had a rather large algae growth on my riccia one time in  my shrimp tank. Decided to move them to the goldfish section and it turned out well.

Anyone know what kind of algae this is? No amount of daily dosing of seachem excel did anything to it. I've been going at it for a few weeks.(and finally gave up)
29 gallon using chihiros a-series, beginner/newbie attempting to do aquascaping/planted aquarium with fish and shrimp. Stocked with some pearlweed, riccia, crypt, ghost shrimp, b.mollies and neons.

Gilbotron

Looks like standard green hair algae.  Pull it out by hand.  You can also black out the tank for 3-4 days to get the remaining algae (cover with thick blanket and don't remove/open for th eentire time - don't even feed).

You've got too much nutrients in the water and too much light - probably from the fish poop or over feeding. You can reduce your lights (reduce intensity, or reduce amount of time lights are on each day) and try to reduce feeding.  If you add more plants, they should consume excess nutrients in the water column, but not sure what plants won't get eaten by the gold fish.  Frogbit might work...