New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Rena API Filstar XP4 flooding my dining room!!

Started by Muad'Dib, June 02, 2021, 01:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muad'Dib

So a week ago I bought 2 used RENA XP filters a XP 4 and a XP2. Only one had the Quick Disconnect connector.
I setup the XP4 on my main tank and as I was heading to bed that night discovered it leaked 2 gal of water onto the floor and into the basement.
After some investigating I determined that the O-rings on the quick disconnect were not sealing properly and water was leaking up around them, then draining under the motor cover until the entire motor housing was full then it would leak out where the power cable comes out.
I've tried Teflon tape, Vaseline, Teflon tape and Vaseline at the same time,  swapping the motor for the one on the XP2, it still leaks.

I've had an XP3 in the past, and NEVER had a problem. this is super frustrating. I'm ordering some new O-rings from Amazon, I'm getting some of the original size, and some just a hair thicker. (same inside diameter)

Has anyone else ever had issues with an XP filter leaking and what did you do to fix it.

Thanks in advance.
Dean

50 Gal Main aquarium w/ 40gal sump for filtration - Currently housing 19 cichlids.
4 - Labidochromis caeruleus - Electric Yellow Labs
5  - Cynotilapia Afra White Top "Hara Reef"
4 - Aulonocara sp. "OB " - Orange Blotch Peacock Cichlid
3 - Protomelas taeniolatus (Likoma Is.) Tangerine Tiger Cichlid
3 - Otopharynx Lithobates (Zimbawe Rock) - Aristo Yellow Blaze Cichlid
12 Gal grow tank - 40 + OB Peacock, Electric Yellow Labs, Hara Reef Afras Fry + maybe a Yellow Blaze Litho Fry or 2

Gowalkitoff

Oh man, you are not having luck with equipment since setting back up!  It really is worth buying a filter new if you can.  I have never bought a used one that didn't leak, so now I'll only buy new. Good luck, I really hope this works out for you.

lucius

Were both filters in use when you bought them?  If no, I wonder if the o rings dried up and shrunk.

Muad'Dib

Quote from: lucius on June 02, 2021, 09:35:53 PM
Were both filters in use when you bought them?  If no, I wonder if the o rings dried up and shrunk.

No unfortunately they weren't so that is a possibility.
I do have another set of unused RENA/API o-rings, but he said he bought these as spares when he bought the filter, so they may be dry too.
I'm going to order brand new Nitrile o-rings from Amazon. 
50 Gal Main aquarium w/ 40gal sump for filtration - Currently housing 19 cichlids.
12 Gal grow tank - 40 + OB Peacock, Electric Yellow Labs, Hara Reef Afras Fry + maybe a Yellow Blaze Litho Fry or 2

Jody

So there were some of the Renas at one point that had a defective leaky disconnect valve. Either something wasn't 100% aligned or the seals just didn't seal properly. The fix on those ones was to replace the disconnect valve.

I have a few XPs still running, great filters.

Jody

Muad'Dib

Quote from: Jody on June 03, 2021, 02:48:48 PM
So there were some of the Renas at one point that had a defective leaky disconnect valve. Either something wasn't 100% aligned or the seals just didn't seal properly. The fix on those ones was to replace the disconnect valve.

I have a few XPs still running, great filters.

Jody

Hi Jody,
Like I said in my post, I've had an XP3 before and never had an issue. I loved it, that's why I jumped on these two.

So if there was an issue with some of the Disconnects in the past, I wonder if the problem is actually the Larger o-ring inside he connect that allows the nozzles to pivot.  I think I may have to pull one apart and see if I can find replacements, because finding a new disconnect valve is difficult now that they have been discontinued.

Cheers
Dean