New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

March 27 th meeting

Started by charlie, March 17, 2023, 09:32:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

Our speaker this month is Chris Pullen
Chris Pullen M.Sc.

Chris Pullen has defined his life around fish and water both personally and professionally.  He has been an active fish keeper for over 25 years focusing on planted aquaria, fish breeding,  marine systems, and a brief stint in aquaponics.  Currently he's focused on raising and breeding dwarf rainbows, killifish, Apistogramma, plecos and a few oddballs. Chris completed an undergraduate degree in ecology and his graduate work focused on fish ecology and conservation physiology, specifically stress ecology of fish.   Following an early career in outdoor adventure tourism, Chris worked as a fish habitat ecologist before moving on to the financial sector in environmental and social risk management. He is currently part of the executive team at Ducks Unlimited Canada leading the organizations sustainability initiatives.  An avid angler, Chris has pursued fish with rod and reel across Canada and the tropics and is equally at home observing fish with a mask and fins or wading in a stream with a dip net.  If it involves fish, he's in!
This presentation is :
Getting to know the neighbours:  Fish watching in the Ottawa region.

There's no end to the wonders we can observe raising fish in our home aquaria.  The hobby provides endless opportunities to experience and learn about fish from around the world, from fresh to brackish to salt water. We become experts on the fish of the rift lakes of Africa, the Amazon or the rivers of Papua New Guinea, but have you ever stopped to wonder what is going on in the lakes and streams around your own home?  In this talk we'll explore the fish communities of the Ottawa region, their life histories, get to know couple of species in more detail and the places they inhabit.  Through the discussion we'll also touch on the ins and outs of observing fish in the wild and opportunities to do so around the region.

See you all on the 27 th at the Hintonburg Community Centre @ 7.00 PM
1064 Wellington st.

Mermaiden Jane

I really enjoyed this presentation! Would it be possible to get a copy of the deck, or just a list of the species mentioned? I wanted to read up more on a few of them and can't remember the names.

Also, if you guys still need a volunteer to help out with software, I work in Excel all the time and would be happy to keep track of things for upcoming auctions.

Gowalkitoff

The meeting sounds like it was very interesting. I still hope to attend one on the future when my daughter is older. Even during virtual meets, the timing is exactly at her bedtime and she needs to be sat with for health reasons. Is creating a recording of meetings for a private OVAS YouTube channel an option if the link were to be only circulated among us? It wouldn't be the same as interactive participation, but it could allow those who are unable to attend the chance to 'catch up'?

charlie

It's definitely something we can revisit.

Biulu

Yesterday I walked in my neighbourhood and noticed in shallow water a group of carps circling, just like what Chris had described in his presentation. This made me think it is time to go out there and visit some of the places he mentioned. Unfortunately, I do not remember any but the area behind Parliament Hill. Anybody that took notes of what to see where?

Thanks!