New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Does anyone know how to sex bettas?

Started by Supermom, March 09, 2024, 07:28:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Supermom

Long story... I unexpectedly have 5 stunning bettas shipped from Thailand but I have no idea if they are male or female. While there is a lot of info on line, I can't tell conclusively so any tips and tricks would be appreciated!

Biulu

Hi, it is not difficult at all, unless you bought yourself only plakats (short fin bettas) as the tails of male bettas are invariably much larger.
Normally, when you buy online and get an import, it should say whether the fish you are buying is a male or female.
If you did get plakats, the most reliable way of sexing them is to see if the fish has an eggspot.

This link is a good article for sexing bettas: https://www.thesprucepets.com/how-to-determine-betta-gender-1380784

Supermom

Thanks so much 🙂 They are plakats. Unfortunately the shipment was not what I ordered and no details were provided. At least they are beautiful fish! I think we have figured things out for three of them but for the last two, one has the physical characteristics of a female but is kind of aggressive and sometimes flares, and the other has physical characteristics that are in between, with no visible egg spot, but acts like a female... I'll keep observing.