New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

I have babies :)

Started by Bal, May 26, 2004, 09:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bal

I have about 35 new babies from my C. Moori. Its the first time for both of us. :)
I am also expecting fry any day now from my yellow lab.

My severums look like they are getting ready to spawn again. First spawn was not sucessful (first time for them as well).

What will I do with so many babies? How do you all deal with multiple spawns? Do the fish stores readily take them?

Bev

328iGuy

Quote from: "Bal"I have about 35 new babies from my C. Moori. Its the first time for both of us. :)
I am also expecting fry any day now from my yellow lab.

My severums look like they are getting ready to spawn again. First spawn was not sucessful (first time for them as well).

What will I do with so many babies? How do you all deal with multiple spawns? Do the fish stores readily take them?

Bev

35 Fry from a first batch from C. Moori, thats a big batch!

Bal

lol! No one is more surprised than I am! She is only 2 1/2 inches long, and I didnt expect spawning from the dolphins for another year or more (I read they grow slowly and spawn around 4-5 inches...right!)

I bought the parents as small juvies only about two months ago. The male is growing like a bad weed, he is about 4 inches already. Still a long way to go, though. I think he looks big, then I go look at the ones in the display tank at SuperPet in Barrhaven and realize he has a long way to go yet.

My yellow lab is also only a young one, about 2 1/2 inches. She looks like shes holding quite a number, as well.

I'm thanking my lucky stars that my son had a few empty tanks sitting around that he previously used for lizard growout/feeding tanks. They are sure coming in handy!

328iGuy

Quote from: "Bal"lol! No one is more surprised than I am! She is only 2 1/2 inches long, and I didnt expect spawning from the dolphins for another year or more (I read they grow slowly and spawn around 4-5 inches...right!)

I bought the parents as small juvies only about two months ago. The male is growing like a bad weed, he is about 4 inches already. Still a long way to go, though. I think he looks big, then I go look at the ones in the display tank at SuperPet in Barrhaven and realize he has a long way to go yet.

My yellow lab is also only a young one, about 2 1/2 inches. She looks like shes holding quite a number, as well.

I'm thanking my lucky stars that my son had a few empty tanks sitting around that he previously used for lizard growout/feeding tanks. They are sure coming in handy!

Yah they have a nice mix of large Moori in the show tanks in Barrhaven, I have discussed purchasing some from Helder the manager on multiple occassions but they want a bit much for those guy's at $40 - $50 each I found anyway.

Bal

I hear ya. I had my eye on the frontosas but told they werent for sale. I bought four of thier babies instead, totalling nine fronts now. I shouldnt have to worry about my fronts breeding for a few years yet.. unless they defy the rules like the dolpins did and surprise me!

Bev

328iGuy

Quote from: "Bal"I hear ya. I had my eye on the frontosas but told they werent for sale. I bought four of thier babies instead, totalling nine fronts now. I shouldnt have to worry about my fronts breeding for a few years yet.. unless they defy the rules like the dolpins did and surprise me!

Bev

HA!  He was going to sell the Fronts to me in the tank but he was NUTS on the price at like $75+ each.

I bought a few from them awhile back and they have grown continuously, now around 4" or so I would say.....and very calm, they are in my showtank with Peacocks....

gvv

Quote from: "Bal"She is only 2 1/2 inches long, and I didnt expect spawning from the dolphins for another year or more (I read they grow slowly and spawn around 4-5 inches...right!)

I bought the parents as small juvies only about two months ago. The male is growing like a bad weed, he is about 4 inches already.
Congratulations!

Just an idea: females grow fast untill first spawn, then they continue growing but much slower (it is after 3 weeks of keeping the fast :) ). All my females, who already spawn are much smaller then those who did not do it yet. And they were a little bigger before. Maybe because of this your female is 2 1/2 only and male 4. :?:

Bal

328iguy, yeah, the pricing of frontosas is steep, considering that all I've seen available around here are burundis. I wouldnt want to think about what the other variants would cost. I did get my first five apparently at a deal. We were told they were originally priced at $66, but marked down to clear them out, at $25 each. They werent as small as the ones I just bought for $20 each a few weeks ago.

I can handle the prices.. my hubby has a little bit of a harder time with how much frontosas are. He calls my $25 fish 'caviar'. lol

He should consider himself lucky that I am not into wildcaught Zaires. ;)