New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

New Starfire 79 gallon tank build

Started by charlie, November 09, 2011, 10:45:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shawn84

Errol ever think of doing like a nano style aquascape planted tank? I know its a bit off topic :s
A bunch a fishes.....
A bunch a tanks...........

Consigliere

Looking good Errol.  Nice choices on the fish stocking.

Ever get your didipalis getting a nice red colour on the ends?  When I used to grow it on my 70G it would get nice red/orange but yours is very green.  It's nice, just curious if you've ever been able to trigger the other colours in it.

charlie

Quote from: Consigliere on November 21, 2011, 10:07:01 PM
Looking good Errol.  Nice choices on the fish stocking.

Ever get your didipalis getting a nice red colour on the ends?  When I used to grow it on my 70G it would get nice red/orange but yours is very green.  It's nice, just curious if you've ever been able to trigger the other colours in it.
Thanks Dave, yes i got the Diandra red, it`s not that hard , it`s present location is not the ideal placement for the deep red  but i will see how it does here.
Regards

charlie

One week update:

I have removed the pearl weed/Hemianthus micranthemoides  & moved the Didiplis diandra, also added come Tonina Belem where the Diandra was, already trimmed the creeping jenny, some growth & colouration is noticeable from the other plants
I added a pair of L144 long fins & 5 more Sterbai cories that i picked up at the OCA , also added 2 more SAE & 40 Cardinals from La Niche Tuesday .
Quick snap shot of the tank with one bank ( 2 54 watt tubes) of the 2 banks of light on

JetJumper

haha, thats amazing for only being up for a week.  Good work!
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

charlie

Quote from: JetJumper on November 24, 2011, 02:22:57 PM
haha, thats amazing for only being up for a week.  Good work!
Thanks, it`s mainly because the plants with the exceptation of the Glosso came from my established tanks & did not need a whole lot to perk up.
Regards

JetJumper

Quote from: charlie on November 24, 2011, 04:57:02 PM
Thanks, it`s mainly because the plants with the exceptation of the Glosso came from my established tanks & did not need a whole lot to perk up.
Regards

shhh don't tell everyone your secret to a fast setup :P  Either way though, very nice!
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

salvini55

Now thats a planted tank that I would love to have in my house. Well done Errol, hey those drop checkers look familiar... Is one of them one I sold you for an increadible price of $2!!!!!!!!! What a deal LOL. I hope that it is so I can say I had a hand in your setup  :P Again very nice, you have the nack thats for sure.

charlie

Quote from: JetJumper on November 24, 2011, 06:37:21 PM
shhh don't tell everyone your secret to a fast setup :P  Either way though, very nice!
Darn, did i do that ;) obviously i don`t keep secrets well  ;D

charlie

Quote from: salvini55 on November 24, 2011, 07:21:17 PM
Now thats a planted tank that I would love to have in my house. Well done Errol, hey those drop checkers look familiar... Is one of them one I sold you for an increadible price of $2!!!!!!!!! What a deal LOL. I hope that it is so I can say I had a hand in your setup  :P Again very nice, you have the nack thats for sure.
Thanks bud, it could very well be the bargin one, that`s 2 of 6 i have acquired over time  ;)

charlie

Some sneak shots of the American citizens that was added to the tank on Monday night.

charlie

charlie

Consigliere

Brine

Hey Errol. one of your pictures shows newspaper in the tank. Is that there to prevent the substrate from getting disturbed while you add water? If so, doesn't it get shredded when it gets wet? If it works I wished I'd heard that trick before. It would have saved me lots of time due to replanting and re-arranging. I get my tank all planted and arranged nicely then add water and have to re do all the work.
Any other tips like that would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

charlie

Quote from: Brine on November 30, 2011, 02:15:34 AM
Hey Errol. one of your pictures shows newspaper in the tank. Is that there to prevent the substrate from getting disturbed while you add water? If so, doesn't it get shredded when it gets wet? If it works I wished I'd heard that trick before. It would have saved me lots of time due to replanting and re-arranging. I get my tank all planted and arranged nicely then add water and have to re do all the work.
Any other tips like that would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Hi Brine, yes that is what the newspaper is for, when layered with enough sheets it does not shred & it works great.
Regards

Brine

Quote from: charlie on November 30, 2011, 05:21:06 AM
Hi Brine, yes that is what the newspaper is for, when layered with enough sheets it does not shred & it works great.
Regards
Thanks

charlie

Just a quick update on the tank - this week ( week2) i`m happy to report all is well & growth is in progress, i had to clip both the Ludwigia`s, creeping jenny,rotala Vietnam ,Tonina sp. fluviatilis, Riccia & ,Glossostigma elatinoides .
The parameters seem to have stabilised @ the following
PH in the morning without any CO2 overnight & airstone on during the night is @ 6.8, Kh is @3 DKH , GH @ 5 DKH
Time to start supplementing some nutrients , since according to the test kits - (something i had to relearn to use since it`s been a while since i last used one)-they indicate the uptake is faster that the substrate can provide , in that the Nitrates is @ 0 & Phosphates is undetectable, so here come the hydroponic salts.
Regards
will try to update a pic later.

charlie

Quote from: charlie on December 02, 2011, 11:10:16 AM
will try to update a pic later.
Some GSA - Green spot algae is starting to creep in, will make some minor tweaks & wait it out. - all stem plants & Glosso had some trimming, glosso topped & replanted.
Regards