New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Rapid LED

Started by RossW, March 14, 2010, 08:28:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitterman

How soon are people goign to be ready to order? I am pretty much ready now.

Bruce

HomerJ

Quote from: bitterman on March 01, 2011, 10:33:50 AM
How soon are people goign to be ready to order? I am pretty much ready now.

Bruce

I would be ready to go for

"36 Ultra Premium LED DIY Kit with Dimmable Drivers"

but only if we get a decent discount from a group buy.  If not, I'll wait a bit.

bitterman

I've e-mailed them and asked about a group discount and details as to amounts.

We will also have to worry about duty for the pieces. My preference is to get it sent via Us Postal service if posible as UPS charges about a $50 brokerage fee plus the max rate for duty. As in if it really falls under something but might actully be lower they seam to always charge the larger amount.

Bruce

pt109

If you can get it sent by USPS, that would be great. Canada Border Security Agency will charge H.S.T. ( and possibly duty) on the value of the purchase, plus a smaller handling fee ( usually $5-for non-priority, or $8 for priority). At least don't be shocked when ( and if ). I have had some items come through without being rated by CBSA. I think that CBSA does a "random" pick of items, due to the high volume of parcels from the US to Canada. But again, don't be surprised if you have to pay these charges when you pick it up from Canada Post.

If the shipping costs to Canada are too great, versus shipping within the US. You might ask Rapid LED if they would agree to mail / ship it to the UPS store in Ogdensburg, NY. You could then drive down to Ogdensburg, pick up your item at the UPS Store and declare it at the border. You'll still have to pay the duty (if applicable) and HST, but no handling fee.

For the sake of a 45-60 min. drive each way ( and the cost of gas,etc.), it may work out to your advantage financially.

Just my 2 cents' worth...

bitterman

I had thought about doing that but no passport or enhanced driver license so I can't drive across the border. I am really pretty close to Ogdensburg as I am in mountain.  Its about 30-35 minutes down south on the 416 from the 417 and 416 junction.

Bruce

JetJumper

I will be holding off actually for now.  Too many other things on the go and the mortgage just ate my extra cash.
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

bitterman

They got back to me on the group order/discount. Not sure how much it could be but if we could hit 1500 and see and if someone could pickup in the USa it would save alot on shipping etc.

Bruce

"Hi Bruce,

We do have bulk discounts, but it's a bit harder for international orders since we would have to ship in multiple packages which makes shipping more expensive.  At any rate, typically we ask for a minimum of $1500-2000 or so for discounted rates but it depends on the club that's hosting the group buy (ie. we'd have larger requirements for larger clubs, etc).

Thanks,
Mike"

bitterman

If there isn't any movement on getting towards the discount goal, I will be putting an order in on Monday for myself.

I have the 20G Long up and running for the kids and it is badly in need of light for the few corals in the tank.

Bruce

leemay

Hi Bruce

I will take,
4x   CREE XR-E Royal Blue 3W LED on Star
10x   80 Degree CREE XR-E Lens/Optics (white)

Let me know, I can send you paypal or cash.

Thanks
Mike

bitterman

Mike, since your not ok with pickup here and pm'd me your out, I'm just ordering for myself.

I had to wait till March 8-9, 2011 to order as they added some products to the store that were out. I checked the tracking today and is showing "Out for delivery" That is excellent service and shipping considering going through customs!

EDIT> Got it today :)

Bruce