New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

New Starfire 79 gallon tank build

Started by charlie, November 09, 2011, 10:45:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajm1961

SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

charlie

Quote from: ajm1961 on December 04, 2011, 06:47:17 PM
What is "GDA"?
Hi Andre firstly my bad had a lapse, i meant to tye GSA =Green spot algae instead i typed GDA= Green Dust algae, in summary it`s green spot that is creeping in, this is not surprising since i just detected yesterday low to non exsisting phosphate levels, so the tweak is to up the phospahtes a tad & wait a bit.Below is a link to GDA ( green dust algae)
http://www.aquascapingworld.com/algaepedia/full_view_algae.php?item_id=78&algae=Green%20Dust%20Algae
& GSA -Green spot algae
http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm
Regards

jshchrtn

Man that tank is so wild, most amazing tank I've ever seen in person!
Couldnt believe how many cherry shrimp were hiding in the plants!
Keep up the good work!
Josh

charlie

Thanks Josh, was a pleasure meeting you.
well as mentioned i did some tweaks due to a mild on set of GSA, that included cutting back the 4 bulb lighting to 3 bulb & upping the phosphate a tad, so far seems to have worked.
I have experienced amazing growth rate across the board/tank, so much so a major trimming & escaping is underway- some plants will be removed for another project & to lighten up the plants density, those removed are as follows- Glosso,Didiplis diandra,Ludwiga Arcuata- removed some & re positioned are - Staurgyne,Blyxa Japonica & added some sagittaria lilaeopsis, others trimmed again, i love this substrate so far, my experience so far has being nothing but good, BTW the con i had about it being light & not holding freshly planted plants was not a problem this time, i added enough water to damp the substrate(no flooding or puddles ) & left it for 12 hrs before planting, worked like a charm.
I started this tank with some newly acquired Glosso from La Niche ( 2 pots) here is a picture of what i just harvested from the tank in 3 weeks(planted on Nov.15 th) -This will be going into a new project so it can spread it`s wings as the space i had it in was too small.
Pics of the new scape will be forthcoming

pm

Ha! So the consolidate to one tank idea didn't last too long  ;) (or was it just the big tanks  ???)

Anyhow, that's a lot of glosso growth for the amount of time... but I guess under the right conditions is grows like a weed.  Mine tripled in size in three weeks (went from one leaf to three... wow I have a green thumb...)

charlie

Quote from: pm on December 09, 2011, 11:08:17 AM
Ha! So the consolidate to one tank idea didn't last too long  ;) (or was it just the big tanks  ???)

Anyhow, that's a lot of glosso growth for the amount of time... but I guess under the right conditions is grows like a weed.  Mine tripled in size in three weeks (went from one leaf to three... wow I have a green thumb...)
;D, consolidate it is use to be a 75 gallon & a 59 gallon planted, now only a 79 gallon
Next  the docket will read- use to be a 20 gallon long & a 15 gallon shrimp tank - now only a 25 gallon :D
Stay tuned , there will be some rare to Ottawa plants posted in the classifieds & some not so rare, also there is already lights & 59 gallon tank & stand posted
soon to come will be a 20 gallon long,keep monitoring the classifieds for details.

charlie

4 weeks in with some tweaks as mentioned earlier- mainly 3 bulbs as opposed to 4, some plants move , some taken out etc.
QuoteI have experienced amazing growth rate across the board/tank, so much so a major trimming & rescaping is underway- some plants will be removed for another project & to lighten up the plants density, those removed are as follows- Glosso,Didiplis diandra,Ludwiga Arcuata,Staurgyne,creeping Jenny & Riccia- removed to the 25 gallon with the exception of the Staurgyne  & re positioned are - Blyxa Japonica,Rotala Vietnam,Java Fern & added some sagittaria lilaeopsis, others trimmed

touchofsky

It looks beautiful.  I love the contrast in shapes and colours.  BTW, what is the tall plant in the back right-hand corner?

charlie

Quote from: touchofsky on December 17, 2011, 10:39:27 AM
It looks beautiful.  I love the contrast in shapes and colours.  BTW, what is the tall plant in the back right-hand corner?
Thanks for the kind words.
the plant in question is -Proserpinaca palustris ''Cuba''
http://www.tropica.com/plants/plantdescription.aspx?pid=037C

touchofsky

It is very nice, with an interesting leaf.  I haven't seen that plant before  :)

Consigliere

Really nice layout.  Like the red sections at 1/3 and 2/3.  Looks great and great growth.  Will have a downoi carpet within a couple weeks at the rate you are going.

charlie

Rybren

Errol,

You are a very talented aquarist.  I love that tank.

I've said it before, that's ALMOST enough to make me want a planted tank.
120G Reef

charlie

Quote from: Rybren on January 10, 2012, 09:19:20 PM
Errol,

You are a very talented aquarist.  I love that tank.

I've said it before, that's ALMOST enough to make me want a planted tank.
Thanks Jerry, your comments are always welcome, i must be doing something right when the tank can tempt a reefer to think about planted tanks  :)
Thanks Errol

charlie

Update: the tank is going along quite good, still a tiny bit of GSA- Green spot algae, but getting there, here a few pics in the FTS the glass is not dirty ;D the plants are pearling causing the streaks in the pic , the close up of 2 of the plants will show the pearling, will post some more close up`s later.
The L144 has bred & they are a few juvies kicking around in the tank , will see how they do in the real world.
Constructive criticism & comments welcome
Regards

Stussi613

It's hard to believe that it's only been 2 months and 11 days since you posted the first FTS of this tank.  Looks like its been running for allot longer.

I want to thank you Erroll, I firmly believe the recent rash of people posting new planted tank builds and the awesome turnout at the meeting this week are directly attributable to your amazing build, your extensive knowledge and your willingness to help anyone in the hobby that asks you for advice. 

You're truly an inspiration to all of us...
I haz reef tanks.

pm

Geez Errol, you are killing me!

Love the overall shape it has taken on.  How did you get the cherry shrimp to wagon-train coming down the wood branch?

fischkopp

Quote from: Stussi613 on January 26, 2012, 01:48:39 PM
I want to thank you Erroll, I firmly believe the recent rash of people posting new planted tank builds and the awesome turnout at the meeting this week are directly attributable to your amazing build, your extensive knowledge and your willingness to help anyone in the hobby that asks you for advice. 

You're truly an inspiration to all of us...

x2

That's coming along real nice. Almost makes me wanna switch the substrate.

I especially love those cardinal tetra stickers that you put all over the front glass. Where did you find those?

;D
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

bizfromqc

Quote from: Fishnut on January 26, 2012, 02:48:38 PM
I need CO2... :D

Don't we all  ;)

Although I have to say, with my 20G now, and according to Seachem's dosing chart (they say 5ml for 50G daily here: http://bit.ly/zENgmg), a 14$ bottle of Flourish Excel would last me about 8 months (500ml / 2ml). At that price, there's no way I need a pressurized system.

NOW, weather pressurized CO2 is better than bioavailable organic carbon (or I'm missing something here), it's a total mystery to me. Maybe it's the way to go with small tanks but the scale tips off to pressurized CO2 when one has a bigger tank  ???

I'm sure Errol will have something to say here about all this :)

Sorry about hijacking Errol's build thread,