New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

New Starfire 79 gallon tank build

Started by charlie, November 09, 2011, 10:45:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchofsky

Tank looks great, Errol.  Your tweaking is really bringing it along beautifully!

What is your lighting routine now?

charlie

Quote from: touchofsky on January 29, 2012, 09:34:30 AM
Tank looks great, Errol.  Your tweaking is really bringing it along beautifully!

What is your lighting routine now?
I have gone back to 4 bulbs to try & bring out the colour of the plants, in doing so i had to up my dosing co2 included, 2 bulbs on @ 1.00 PM the second  2 bulbs on @ 2.00 PM, off time is the reverse
2 & 8.00 PM & the next 2 @ 9.00PM
OH yea i have tweaked the scape AGAIN  ;D since post that picture  ;D ;D, hence the availability of the Tonina etc.
Thanks for your kind remarks, always appreciated
Regards Errol

touchofsky

I am thinking of adding more light to my tank, as well.  Right now, I am just running two 54w t5ho's.

DaWolfe

Très NICE, très NICE.  That is one sick setup....  Even better in person, I want to fill my living room with tanks like yours....not sure my wife would agree but worth the dream...

Thanks for the plants.

charlie

Quote from: DaWolfe on January 30, 2012, 07:34:22 PM
Très NICE, très NICE.  That is one sick setup....  Even better in person, I want to fill my living room with tanks like yours....not sure my wife would agree but worth the dream...

Thanks for the plants.
Thanks Dan, was a pleasure . In time the wife will come around  ;) or so we all hope  :).

daworldisblack

Argh.. if only i had half your skill! Awesome setup!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

Peekay

Quote from: charlie on January 30, 2012, 09:32:50 PM
Thanks Dan, was a pleasure . In time the wife will come around  ;) or so we all hope  :).

I dunno, I saw the relief in your wife's eyes as I rolled that tank out of your place...  if they don't come around, you can at least hope they come quietly.  ;)

charlie

Quote from: Peekay on January 31, 2012, 09:46:17 AM
I dunno, I saw the relief in your wife's eyes as I rolled that tank out of your place...  if they don't come around, you can at least hope they come quietly.  ;)
;D ;D you only saw relief in her eyes , i saw the celebration dance after  ;D

charlie

bizfromqc

Yet again, fantastic.

Errol, do you have two drop checkers in there? (left and right side of the tank)

I'm referring to the bulb shape thing on the left and the white looking watchamacallit on the right.

charlie

Quote from: bizfromqc on February 01, 2012, 09:23:11 AM
Yet again, fantastic.

Errol, do you have two drop checkers in there? (left and right side of the tank)

I'm referring to the bulb shape thing on the left and the white looking watchamacallit on the right.
Thanks Eric, yes in reply to you question about you sword , i briefly touched on how difficult it is to master co2 saturation,so yes i not 2 but 3 drop checkers in that tank,it`s an attempt to get a better indication of how well the saturation levels are throughout the tank.
When a tank is thisdenselyy planted & otherhard scapee flow can be severelyy inhibited as such CO2 distributionn & for that matter all nutrients is dependent on flow for transport.
This picture was takeliterallyly 10 mins before posting it, so the plants & animals are fully awake yet, i turned the lights on 20 mins before i quickly shot the image, reason for doing so is during the afternoon reflections are terrible & from 2.30PM ( lights start to come on @ 1.00)onwards the plants are pearling which detracts from the image.
Errol

pm

Errol, I just realized you and I are using the same tank for inspiration: Tom Barr's "120 Gallon ADA "like", ditched, Dutch style with lots of color instead" tank http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/tank-journals-photo-album/149265-120-gallon-ada-like-ditched-dutch.html, which might explain why we are going in similar directions, albeit you with a lot more experience, tank size, equipment, brains, heart, and courage (nice wizard of oz reference) than I.

For example I have started line up my Ludwigia Glandulosa as a colour barrier between green plants in a similar fashion to you, as well as using wood to the same effect.  I find that my Ludwigia Glandulosa does not grow too fast (unlike my ludwigia repens 'rubin' or Proserpinaca palustris 'Cuba'), and provides a nice "split" between plant types.

fischkopp

Very nice scape and great development. Great photography skills as well!
I really like how it gets evenly lower from the left to the right.

Only thing I am not sure of is the alternanthera reineckii (did I get that right?).

Do you actually see a difference in between the drop checkers?

quite some insane posting going on here ... :)
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

charlie

Quote from: pm on February 01, 2012, 09:54:18 AM
Errol, I just realized you and I are using the same tank for inspiration: Tom Barr's "120 Gallon ADA "like", ditched, Dutch style with lots of color instead" tank http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/tank-journals-photo-album/149265-120-gallon-ada-like-ditched-dutch.html, which might explain why we are going in similar directions, albeit you with a lot more experience, tank size, equipment, brains, heart, and courage (nice wizard of oz reference) than I.

For example I have started line up my Ludwigia Glandulosa as a colour barrier between green plants in a similar fashion to you, as well as using wood to the same effect.  I find that my Ludwigia Glandulosa does not grow too fast (unlike my ludwigia repens 'rubin' or Proserpinaca palustris 'Cuba'), and provides a nice "split" between plant types.

Yep i posted that earlier in the thread, most who know me well, know i`m a sucker for colourful plants.
Errol

charlie

Quote from: fischkopp on February 01, 2012, 09:55:46 AM
Very nice scape and great development. Great photography skills as well!
I really like how it gets evenly lower from the left to the right.

Only thing I am not sure of is the alternanthera reineckii (did I get that right?). Do you actually see a difference in between the drop checkers?quite some insane posting going on here ... :)
Thanks Robert
It`s actually Ludwigia Glandulosa, finally got it`s identity solved, do your remember when i picked it up @ Nature Pet.

Yes i do , before  i started tweaking flow etc there was was dead spots & the CO2 saturation was slower in coming up to par in those areas, i have managed to get it better, but as the density of the plants change so does the uptake & flow obstruction, so as you know trimming is crucial.
On the insane posting  ;D - the new wave is on, some who jumped ship are trying to get back  on board while others stayed the course & is firmly buckled in, get your tickets now folks  ;D
Errol

exv152

Nice tank Errol, trimming is definitely a must for dutch style tanks where stem plants will obstruct water flow, good job! You must be pretty good at using those scissors.

Have you ever tried growing Rotala Wallichii ?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on February 01, 2012, 10:30:32 AM
Nice tank Errol, trimming is definitely a must for dutch style tanks where stem plants will obstruct water flow, good job! You must be pretty good at using those scissors.

Have you ever tried growing Rotala Wallichii ?
Thanks Eric, getting better with cutting tools  ;)
Yea I have grown it before it`s a weed when it takes off.
Errol

pm

Hey Errol, a while back I saw a Koralia (nano ??) in your tank, but not in the most recent pic.  How did it work for flow?  Was it a shrimp death trap?  I am thinking of getting one (the 240gph), but not 100% sold on it yet, as I might be able to get the flow I need with my filter alone.  What is/was your take on the Koralia in a planted tank?

Thanks

daworldisblack

Quote from: pm on February 04, 2012, 05:40:07 PM
Hey Errol, a while back I saw a Koralia (nano ??) in your tank, but not in the most recent pic.  How did it work for flow?  Was it a shrimp death trap?  I am thinking of getting one (the 240gph), but not 100% sold on it yet, as I might be able to get the flow I need with my filter alone.  What is/was your take on the Koralia in a planted tank?

Thanks

I was wondering the same. I decided to use a powerhead (it was lying around) instead and just covered the intake strainer with shower-loofah mesh. Definitely not as visually appealing as the Koralias!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

Peekay

7 year old aquarist Keith gives this tank two thumbs up.   :P