New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

48 gallon Rimless build

Started by blizzack1, March 02, 2012, 06:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blizzack1

Hey guys,

My saltwater tank is cycled and I am getting ready to add a skimmer, pick out some lighting and purchase some pumps.

Tank is ~48 gallons, 40 x16x 20. Around 50 pounds of live rock ( looks like less).

Lots of questions to follow, as it is my first saltwater tank.

For now, let's just enjoy a crude photo from my iPhone :)

Hookup

Cheebs

blizzack1

So, as you guys may have noticed, the cuc are doing fine. I will need some shells though, as the crabs are constantly battling each other. I assume I will need some food for them soon.

Bought an octopus bh-1000 skimmer which I will install this weekend.

What i need to do is decide on an led system for a 36" tank (actually 40", but kept lr away from the sides), and whether I should afford an mp-10 vortech pump or two.

For lighting, I was looking at the Radion, but I have a Mac and can't control it unless I have windows... AI Sol is an option, but people seem to say it is too 'white'.. Hard to say without seeing either in action.

For the pump, I am trying to minimize the number of cords and items going in the tank, as I have no sump. If I can get away with just one mp-10 I am sold, otherwise it seems excessive if I need two.

Any input is welcome!

xenon

Radion's are awesome.

I run bootcamp on my Macbook Air so that I can control my lights.

The AI Sol is too white. That is why you should look into the Sol Blue instead.

Depending on what you want to keep, a single MP10 might be enough flow.

blizzack1

Quote from: xenon on March 08, 2012, 09:34:43 PMRadion's are awesome.

I run bootcamp on my Macbook Air so that I can control my lights.

The AI Sol is too white. That is why you should look into the Sol Blue instead.

Depending on what you want to keep, a single MP10 might be enough flow.

Thanks xenon. I was worried that the Sol wasn't powerful enough to cover my tank and i was hoping to only need one fixture, though I am planning on growing easier corals. What specific kinds, I have no idea... I don't know enough yet - too busy researching hardware :)

I like the active ones, as in the ones that sway along with the current.

I Am considering Bootcamp, but it hurts :)

Hookup

A) Mac Book AIR = most awesome laptop ever built.  Love mine, new one with the i7 processor will be here end of month!

B) have you tried parallels?  It's pretty awesome, IMHO...  I only need Visio and MS Project and they seem to work well enuf, but parallels is a very slick way to run your windows apps.

C) nice tank.  :)

D) check out advanced aquarist review on LED lights, or more specifically Sanjays spectral analysis report on LED fixtures...  Interesting

xenon

Quote from: blizzack1 on March 08, 2012, 09:54:53 PM
Thanks xenon. I was worried that the Sol wasn't powerful enough to cover my tank and i was hoping to only need one fixture, though I am planning on growing easier corals. What specific kinds, I have no idea... I don't know enough yet - too busy researching hardware :)

I like the active ones, as in the ones that sway along with the current.

I Am considering Bootcamp, but it hurts :)

The Radion can only spread 24" wide so for the same price, you can get 2 AI Sol Blue modules and get much better light spread over your tank.

You should first research your corals before the hardware. If you plan on going LPS and softies, you can save money on hardware. :)

Quote from: Hookup on March 08, 2012, 10:48:05 PM
A) Mac Book AIR = most awesome laptop ever built.  Love mine, new one with the i7 processor will be here end of month!

B) have you tried parallels?  It's pretty awesome, IMHO...  I only need Visio and MS Project and they seem to work well enuf, but parallels is a very slick way to run your windows apps.

Yes. I cannot live without my MBA.

I have tried parallels. I love that you can stay in OS X and use windows apps but bootcamp run so much smoother. Especially when running multiple apps or gaming. The other bonus is that its free!

blizzack1

Thanks, Hookup.

My iMac is from 2008, but I'm loathe to upgrade it because they got rid of the 24" model... so looks like I have to go to a Mac Mini with a 24" monitor.  I hadn't considered parallels, but maybe that is better than bootcamp.

I read a lot of Sanjay's articles, and from an untrained eye it seemed that there were a few lights that could provide ample light to a 36" tank.  But I am not familiar enough with what his scores on the test relate to in real-world coral growing.  I don't think I've come across anyone lighting a 36" tank with a single LED fixture.

I was thinking of the Radion because it seemed like it could get the job done.

Xenon, I'm definetly trying to keep hardware costs to a minimum, so I think I'm going to go the less demanding coral route.

But I am really impressed with all coral at this point, so I have a question: what is it about the more demanding corals (SPS?) that draws people to them?

Quote from: Hookup on March 08, 2012, 10:48:05 PM
A) Mac Book AIR = most awesome laptop ever built.  Love mine, new one with the i7 processor will be here end of month!

B) have you tried parallels?  It's pretty awesome, IMHO...  I only need Visio and MS Project and they seem to work well enuf, but parallels is a very slick way to run your windows apps.

C) nice tank.  :)

D) check out advanced aquarist review on LED lights, or more specifically Sanjays spectral analysis report on LED fixtures...  Interesting

Malyon18

I have 2 AI's over my tank (48'' long) and the coverage I am getting from them 7'' above the waterline is awesome. You are more then welcome to come check them out if you are interested. Looking at pictures online is very hard to judge since I find taking pics with the LED always make it look like there is spotlighting which in real life there is not (in my tank anyways). I have had them for over a year now and have had no prolems keeping anything, now to just get my alk under control.
"Friends Don't Let Friends Go Plastic Reef"

xenon

Quote from: blizzack1 on March 09, 2012, 08:29:28 AM

what is it about the more demanding corals (SPS?) that draws people to them?

One word. "Color"

You wont see any softie or LPS tanks have more color than an SPS dominated tank.

Cheebs

I think it's also pride in the care of difficult to keep corals that attract people to SPS. They also fill in negative space very well. I for one will always find LPS infinitely more interesting and cool to look at, whether it be feeding, how they react to light changes, flow, etc.  SPS are very cool in it's own way though!

JetJumper

Quote from: xenon on March 09, 2012, 09:30:01 AM
One word. "Color"

You wont see any softie or LPS tanks have more color than an SPS dominated tank.
Not only that, but growth is awesome.

Here is a prime example.  This tank is 1 year old:

Start up:

1 Year Later:

This tank just made TOTM on reefcentral. 
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

blizzack1

Quote from: JetJumper on March 09, 2012, 10:35:37 AM
Not only that, but growth is awesome.

Here is a prime example.  This tank is 1 year old:

This tank just made TOTM on reefcentral. 

Impressive stuff.  It looks like I have a much longer growing period than I'd anticipated!

What are those small yellow fishes?

I think the increased care requirements/expenses are going to confine me to the softies, at least until I  get a new tank. 

After a close inspection of a seal on the corner yesterday that may come sooner than later.  The seal in the back corner is fine on the inside of the tank if you run your hand along it, but on the outside of the tank there are some big gaps that have appeared.

I'm hoping they caulked the outside for cosmetic purpses, but I'm not so sure and I'm nervous about it, to say the least.  I will take a photo tonight.

I was hoping to get by with my current tank while I figured things out, as I'm not sure I have the budget for a new tank/stand, as I was hoping to maybe go with a sump  setup down the road...

blizzack1

Quote from: Malyon18 on March 09, 2012, 08:36:06 AM
I have 2 AI's over my tank (48'' long) and the coverage I am getting from them 7'' above the waterline is awesome. You are more then welcome to come check them out if you are interested. Looking at pictures online is very hard to judge since I find taking pics with the LED always make it look like there is spotlighting which in real life there is not (in my tank anyways). I have had them for over a year now and have had no prolems keeping anything, now to just get my alk under control.

Thanks Maylon.  How large a spread do you think a single unit could cover?  From their website, it shows it almost covering three feet in each direction, which would more than suit my purposes.

Are you growing demanding coral?  If I could get away with one AI Sol Blue fixture I'd be quite pleased.

Malyon18

I personall think with 1 unit you will really be pushing it, to get good corverage you would have to hang it pretty darn high will will leave lots of light going into the room. If not hung really high the sides of your tank will be pretty dark. My tank is a mix of LPS and SPS. If it was me I don't think I would go more then 24''. I did swap the optics out for all 70's which made a minor difference.

blizzack1

Quote from: Malyon18 on March 09, 2012, 03:24:08 PM
I personall think with 1 unit you will really be pushing it, to get good corverage you would have to hang it pretty darn high will will leave lots of light going into the room. If not hung really high the sides of your tank will be pretty dark. My tank is a mix of LPS and SPS. If it was me I don't think I would go more then 24''. I did swap the optics out for all 70's which made a minor difference.

OK, so looks like either two AI Sols, or one Radion... there may be other options, but my head hurts.

I think one MP-10 won't cut it on my tank, and the MP-40 is probably too expensive, so I need to re-think the powerhead, too.

At least I'm getting closer :)

Malyon18

Oh yeah I also have 4 MP10's in my 90 gallon, I think you would probably need 2 for your tank, the MP10 will not push the whole 40'' of your tank. I find after 24'' they do not move much.

az

AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca