New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Brendan's 20L Shrimp Tank!

Started by bettabreeder, May 08, 2013, 06:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

exv152

Hey Brendan, Your iwagumi skills are really coming along, the latest pics are a far cry from the first ones in the thread, in particular your choice of rock placement.  As for the plants, I would even suggest going with carpet plants only. That way nothing outgrows/out competes the height of your stones, and the stones remain the focal point. Awesome!
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

bettabreeder

Thank you for the suggestion and kind words! I was thinking of pulling the limnophila to put some glosso mayb that is tomorrows project

bettabreeder

Okay here's the latest update

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sas

charlie

It`s coming along nicely, personally I would swap the front left stone with the 3 small front right stone of your main stone   & use 2 of the 3 from the right to replace the space created at the left of the main stone, just a suggestion.
P.S. `m assuming it`s 3 stones right of the main stone, since it`s a bit dark combine with my poor vision  it`s had to tell ;D
Errol

bettabreeder

Thank you sas for the compliment :)

Errol, It goes 2 left, main, 2 right. I know it is dark but its the best I can do with my iPhone. maybe once I am home tonight I'll set up some flash and extra light on the rocks to depict the set up. thank you for the feedback of course. also it is just awkward due to the two right stones are similar size as well as the back left. front left is very small in comparison but the main rock is massive compared to all of them and I don't have any aqua soil to play with better positionings :(

exv152

To be honest, the only rock that looks out of place for me is the left side rock. If that can be repositioned to not be so dominant visually; maybe by reducing the height, making it smaller in stature, etc. Right now it is not playing a supporting role, it's competing with the largest stone.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on December 13, 2013, 01:28:18 PM
To be honest, the only rock that looks out of place for me is the left side rock. If that can be repositioned to not be so dominant visually; maybe by reducing the height, making it smaller in stature, etc. Right now it is not playing a supporting role, it's competing with the largest stone.
Exactly, that is why switching it thinking the ones to the right was 3 smaller pcs.
Brendan can try having some of them horizontal as opposed to vertical.
Errol

bettabreeder

How's this?

bettabreeder

Here are some pics of the new inhabitants

daworldisblack

Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

bettabreeder

bettabreeder

So little update... I left a female OEBT shrimp in this tank and well wouldn't ya know it she now is berried. Soooo in about a month I'll be able to find out who her babies daddy is :P

bettabreeder

New update! Built a stand for this tank as my dresser was no longer level. I plan on painting it black one day and adding a door to it

daworldisblack

Looking good! Always neat to start small projects!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

Dxpert

Awesome work! I just read through from the start and kudos on the progress, the 20L is a difficult tank to scape because of the limited height and depth, yours however looks great!

Great work on the stand also, it looks very solid, I'm sure it will pop once you paint it or skin it with more wood.

Have you noticed much of an increase in water parameters from the rock you have?

bettabreeder

bettabreeder

Quote from: Dxpert on January 29, 2014, 08:17:18 AM
Awesome work! I just read through from the start and kudos on the progress, the 20L is a difficult tank to scape because of the limited height and depth, yours however looks great!

Great work on the stand also, it looks very solid, I'm sure it will pop once you paint it or skin it with more wood.

Have you noticed much of an increase in water parameters from the rock you have?

Thanks guys! Only parameters changing from the rocks is the KH. Ideally I want the water at 0-1 KH but the rocks keep it at 2 KH

bettabreeder

Should've taken a before and after photo of the trim but I got carried away this morning and only now remembered to snap a photo.

fischkopp

That's a nice setup, looks like you get solid growth. And you for sure build one pretty solid tank. Looking to upgrade soon, eh?

Maybe a bit of critique at this point: I like the rocks, but find you are missing something to balance them. The layout lacks a focal pint that draws you in. Maybe a third rock somewhere, a bit more topography with the gravel, some taller plants in the background, just to give you some ideas. I do like where this is going!
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031