New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

150 peninsula

Started by salvini55, September 29, 2010, 03:59:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

salvini55

Quote from: salvini55 on January 04, 2011, 04:31:45 PM
Im going to want someone to have frags of the corals so that if i lose any during the move i will have a chance to get them back  ;D

Just something that caught my eye while going over the thread..... I need to start listening to myself

salvini55

There is an explosion of bryopsis! Its pretty impressive how fast it can spread. looks like ill be getting a sea hare again, worked well the first time. On the plus side I get to see the flow patterns for coral placement aswell as how the tank will be shaded once corals grow. Ill have to post a pic to show yall how crazy it has gotten!!!

salvini55

LMAO, its gonna take awile...

JetJumper

eek!  that looks like my other tank before I tore it all down!!!  Good luck on it!
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

salvini55

dan2x38

Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

salvini55

My thoughts were the nutrients from the live sand i used that was prolly not so live anymore (only about 10 cups the rest was new). There must have been some spores or rhizomes/roots (spelling?) from the refugium.

The sea hare I got just kicked the bucket, lived for two days... wierd, he seemed to be in a weak state when i purchased him though.

az

I think you should add some hermits, actually lots of hermits, your old tank had hermits and it looked nice and clean, throw in lots of hermit and pull out as much of the algae you can so they can clean out the base and you will have no algae in 1+ wk. just snails and no hermits as you planned this time may not work perfectly..

AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

salvini55

hermits cant help my situation, The bryopsis grows way to fast for them to have a chance. some of the strands are 10 inches +. I feel the 8 I have are enough to fulfill the scavenging needs of the tank. I may add some more hermits down the line but not to control algae.

Ive been using a vinyl tube with a razor blade wrapped around it, to syphon and cut. It works but not as I hoped. (too much wasted water compared to algae harvested) Idont want to reuse the water as it will contain bits of algae that will just re-populate the tank. I think i'll just use scizzors while i syphon.

As long as the visit to the vet goes well this afternoon (to get Gunner checked out, he is very sick ATM) I will be going commando on it tonight or tomorrow.

(Insert "KARATE sound" here.) whootah.. I suppose

xiaan

Any Tangs in your tank? I find that my Sail-fin Tang eats the stuff like crazy. I currently have an outbreak in my frag tank and I if I put any frag plug that is covered in algae he mows it down within a hour.

Cheebs

Yeah I'd bet a nice big yellow tang would give this stuff a run for it's money, with a little manual help.

salvini55

HAHAH you guys see right through me! Yellow tang was the suprise for tomorow! tonight is pay day woot

salvini55

Ended up getting a sailfin tang from AZ. He has already gotten straight to work so he can stay  8)

here is the updated fish list

Anthias Hookup x 3  ;)
Sailfin Tang
bellus angel
longspine cardinals x 8
firefish
royal gramma
rainfords goby

NjOyRiD

did you raise your magnesium to 1800ppm?
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

salvini55

Nope, I havent tried the Kent Tech-M treatment yet. Once I start running out of options, I will branch out to new techniques

NjOyRiD

i had the problem too, a big one, mixed of bryopsis and hair algea
heres the proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwaTjL6um1U

putting my magnesium to 1800ppm got rid of bryspsis in a week.

then it looked liek this when i was done:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kW1ckMCH_Fs
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

JetJumper

Quote from: NjOyRiD on September 23, 2011, 06:39:21 PM
heres the proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwaTjL6um1U

then it looked liek this when i was done:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kW1ckMCH_Fs

LOL.. how come you tried to say its a 400Gallon in the first video :P
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

NjOyRiD

thats what I had in total volume before, and then changed one refugium to a equipment tank isntead (smaller tank)
370g System

salvini55

Quote from: NjOyRiD on September 23, 2011, 06:39:21 PM

Did you use Kent Tech-M?

NjOyRiD

yes
and you can only raise 100 ppm per day, its very important
370g System