New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Rapid LED

Started by RossW, March 14, 2010, 08:28:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

groan

Ya, just post it here if you know a local source. that would help out anyone wanting to do this.

Rybren

Another option for heatsinks is 1" aluminum U channel or L brackets. There are a few builds on RC using this material.

For those who are interested, this LFS in Quebec City does his own LED builds.  I saw them in action last summer: very high quality workmanship and finish.  He was offering both dimmable and non-dimmable versions;  I don't recall the price.

L'Accro du Récif, 5000 3e avenue Ouest, Quebec, G1H 6G3, 418-623-9222
120G Reef

RossW

I am interested to know more about these.  I dont' really want to spend $100 on a heatsink for my $279 LED kit...

If you have a couple links handy that would be great, if not no worries my friend google will likely help me.

Quote from: Rybren on March 19, 2010, 12:05:35 PM
Another option for heatsinks is 1" aluminum U channel or L brackets. There are a few builds on RC using this material.

JetJumper

Home Depot has them in the building material section.  I think they are $10 / 8ft or something like that?  Someone would have to confirm.
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Rybren

I've seen the U channel material at HD, Lowes, Preston Hardware.

The RC search function is down, and I can't seem to find the thread that I want.  But, in the DIY LED thread started by Kcress he describes how to do an LED build without using meanwells or buckbucks.  In that same thread, Stugray (I think) outlines how to use the U channel/L brackets as a heatsink.  (you basically create ducted channels and suck air through using fans)

I have seen others on RC using it in their builds as well.
120G Reef

Rybren

Ross,

I had tried the RC Google serach but initially couldn't find the thread I wanted.

Finally found it...

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1751598

Down around post#37, there's a description for the ducting.
120G Reef

RossW

Thank you very much!

JetJumper

happened to be at HomeDepot today.

.: JetJumper's Zone :.

groan

Quote from: Rybren on March 19, 2010, 12:05:35 PM

For those who are interested, this LFS in Quebec City does his own LED builds.  I saw them in action last summer: very high quality workmanship and finish.  He was offering both dimmable and non-dimmable versions;  I don't recall the price.

L'Accro du Récif, 5000 3e avenue Ouest, Quebec, G1H 6G3, 418-623-9222

I called Martin at this shop and while he does build them, he is still only building prototypes and using them in his shop. he si not ready to build to sell.

Rybren

Interesting,

When I was there in the summer, he offered to sell them to me and told me that he had sold quite a few units.

Oh well, it was worth a shot.
120G Reef

winston199

groan

Quote from: Rybren on March 21, 2010, 03:52:33 PM
Interesting,

When I was there in the summer, he offered to sell them to me and told me that he had sold quite a few units.

Oh well, it was worth a shot.

maybe he isnt building them to specifications, jsut selling whats in the store.

next time you go see if you can get some details.

Vincenzo.

so whats the word on the new cree, any blues?

RossW

To the best of my knowledge CREE has not released blue XP-Gs, only cool white.

The new LEDs are listed on the site.  I have asked if they can be included in a kit, for a couple extra bucks.  Of course,  you have to ensure you match an appropriate driver.  The dimmable driver was always a match, but they were brining in a new constant current driver to drive the XP-Gs.

nissannx

do you have an idea when you would like to place teh order. just got my income tax back and it needs to get spent

Adam Chappell

just made fixed my leds because i used some u shaped channel and they over heated you should use heat skinks they make way more heat then you would ever think do it right the first time i had to spend 10h adding heat sinks

RossW

Quote from: Adam Chappell on March 23, 2010, 11:31:11 PM
just made fixed my leds because i used some u shaped channel and they over heated you should use heat skinks they make way more heat then you would ever think do it right the first time i had to spend 10h adding heat sinks

Did you have a fan blowing down the u channel?

RossW

I depends on general concensus.  I will try and get a list of interested parties and post it today.  I think there are only a few of us who are ready to buy.  I would like to get the XP-Gs but they are waiting on lenses for them, and I don't want to go lensless.

As best as I can tell, the XP-Gs offer about 30% more PAR and for little extra cost.

Quote from: nissannx on March 23, 2010, 09:42:05 PM
do you have an idea when you would like to place teh order. just got my income tax back and it needs to get spent

bitterman

I'm curious if anyone knows how to determine what sized heat sink and number of fins are required to hit a target temperature for so many leds?

I know the more fins the larger/taller, the more surface area and the better the heat transfer. I know a fan is required, but what kind of CFM.. But too many fins can hinder airflow... and the heat sink can get pretty heavy...

I'm looking for calculations. Each LED is about 3 watts so that can assume a certain amount of heat etc based on the electrical needs.

Do we know what the company recommends heat sink size for each of the kits to ensure good life expectancy on the LEDS?

Thanks,
  Bruce