New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Giant Auction March 4, 2012

Started by limmer, February 13, 2012, 10:50:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nerine

I sold more than I brought home too :D I came home with 2 things of duckweed!! and that's it!! How crazy is that!?!?! The turtle and woodcats thank the cultivators of the duckweed :) They were thrilled and it will probably be gone by the end of the week  ??? crazy how much they consume :)

Also - I second the pulled pork recipe!! it was so delish!

Thank you again everyone for making this auction amazing :)
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

washefuzzy

It was awesome having so many dedicated OVAS members donate their time and energy to the auction.

charlie

Quote from: washefuzzy on March 06, 2012, 09:11:43 AM
It was awesome having so many dedicated OVAS members donate their time time and energy to the auction.

Agreed - very refreshing to get away from the key board community & meet, share hobby talk , put faces to names & actually find out about each other  :P

Anja

It was fantastic. Thanks for everyone who volunteered and participated in making it so. I came home with everything I'd been looking for and then some. What a day.

250G (Pond) - Comets, Rosy Reds; 20G Retirement - Congo Tetras, BN, Banjo Cats, Pristellas, Buenos Aires Tetras, Zebra Danios; 25G Pygmy Corys, BN, Green Neons, Assassin Snails, 15G Blue Daisy Ricefish, BN, Betta; 6.6G (Edge) - Diamond Head Tetras, 3G Bloody Mary shrimp, 2G Caridina Cantonensis (tangerine tiger)

exv152

I also came home with the eheim 2217 I had my eyes on, and considering I got it for a steal/fraction of the price of a new one, my 125g SA community, and me, are very pleased. Not sure if I volunteer next time I'll be able to take advantage of some of these great deals.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Brine

Quote from: exv152 on March 06, 2012, 12:59:07 PM
Not sure if I volunteer next time I'll be able to take advantage of some of these great deals.

I was one of the volunteer auctioneers and when an item came up that I wanted to bid on I passed it to one of the other auctioneers and then stepped forward to bid on it.
 ;D

Wayne was behind the food counter most of the time but he just waved his bidding card vigorously to get our attention when he was bidding.

Even Peter who was frantically typing and trying to keep up with the fast paced action managed to get his card in the air a few times.

pm

Quote from: exv152 on March 06, 2012, 12:59:07 PM
I also came home with the eheim 2217 I had my eyes on,...

I had my eye on that too.  I must have missed it (been talking??   :D), because I don't remember it even comming up.

exv152

Quote from: Brine on March 06, 2012, 02:59:21 PMI was one of the volunteer auctioneers and when an item came up that I wanted to bid on I passed it to one of the other auctioneers and then stepped forward to bid on it.  ;D...

I'll keep it in mind.

Quote from: pm on March 06, 2012, 03:08:11 PMI had my eye on that too.  I must have missed it (been talking??   :D), because I don't remember it even comming up.

It was probably the third or fourth item that went up for bid, and I was lucky enough to snag it for $80.  Now my 125g has two 2217s running, one from each end. Many thanks to the seller who put this item up for auction, it was in mint condition, and they even gave my son the original receipt, with warranty still on it, when he went to pay for it.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

touchofsky

Wow, now that is a really great seller.  I didn't get to the auction until about 1:00, so I missed some of the early stuff.

rockgarden

I volunteer to sell raffle tickets so that I don't have time to put my hand up!!!! ;D

Getting lots of views on my photo blog of the day's event.  Hopefully all of that attention will translate into ticket sales for the OVAS Earth Day Event. I've paid my $5 for a ticket.  A steal of a deal!!! Let's make the Earth Day event another memorable OVAS moment!

Photo blog here: http://www.megapixeltravel.com/2012/03/ovas-giant-auction-today-march-4th-2012/

OVAS Earth Day info here: http://ovas.ca/forum/index.php?topic=52277.0

Ron

charlie

Quote from: Brine on March 06, 2012, 02:59:21 PM
I was one of the volunteer auctioneers and when an item came up that I wanted to bid on I passed it to one of the other auctioneers and then stepped forward to bid on it.
 ;D

Wayne was behind the food counter most of the time but he just waved his bidding card vigorously to get our attention when he was bidding.

Even Peter who was frantically typing and trying to keep up with the fast paced action managed to get his card in the air a few times.

I was in on the action too, managed to snarl 30 cardinals, power bar,potassium sulphate, assain snails & plants while helping out. ;)

touchofsky

exv152

Quote from: touchofsky on March 06, 2012, 04:02:00 PMWow, now that is a really great seller.  I didn't get to the auction until about 1:00, so I missed some of the early stuff.

Yeah, I almost missed out because I spent about a half hour searching for a parking spot. When I finally walked in they were just getting ready to begin the auction.  Everything else was great, my only complaint of the day was the lack of parking.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

touchofsky

Even though I was a bit late, I managed to spend all of my money  :)

Nerine

It's downtown!! :) I got there at 8:30 to get a decent parking spot!!!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on March 06, 2012, 08:32:49 PM
Yeah, I almost missed out because I spent about a half hour searching for a parking spot. When I finally walked in they were just getting ready to begin the auction.  Everything else was great, my only complaint of the day was the lack of parking.
Parking is one of the cons with that location, maybe we can keep an eye out for a location that has the pros of Jack Purcell with good parking & suggest them to the club
The pros i think are space & cost, city facilities are way less than other similar facilities.
Errol

exv152

Quote from: Nerine on March 07, 2012, 07:50:39 AMIt's downtown!! :) I got there at 8:30 to get a decent parking spot!!!

8:30am? I was still wearing pj's and out cold at that time, but if I knew it was gonna be that busy I woulda done the same. Good excuse to grab some breakfast locally.
;)
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Brine

Quote from: charlie on March 07, 2012, 08:30:14 AM
Parking is one of the cons with that location, maybe we can keep an eye out for a location that has the pros of Jack Purcell with good parking & suggest them to the club
The pros i think are space & cost, city facilities are way less than other similar facilities.
Errol

McNabb Community Centre has tons of parking, is central and is city run...no idea what the cost/availability is like though.